Kentucky Coffee Tree

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The Kentucky Coffee Tree, a new favorite of mine, has germinated in my grow tent.

Germinated: Nov 30th.
Germination method: hacksaw through seed coat at the basal end of the seed in three places
Into dirt: December 1st. 1/2" down.
Sprouted: overnight on December 13th (13 days to break soil)

As its name suggests the Kentucky Coffee Tree was first encountered in Kentucky, but it’s actually found, though quite sparingly, all the way from Ontario down to Louisiana. It can be used as a replacement for coffee beans, but the pods, seeds and pulp are all poisonous, so you need to boil it a long time to negate that issue. Besides that poisonous bit as trees go it’s pretty cool, so let’s walk through the reasons.

The leaves:
At around 3 feet long they’re one of the largest in North America. Each leaf is divided compoundly twice, creating around 40 small leaflets. It’s sometimes confused for being dead once it drops its leaves each year, thus earning its name “naked branch”. The pods:
Resembling a gigantic kidney bean the pods of the Kentucky Coffee Tree can grow to almost a foot in length and a few inches wide. They have an extremely hard exterior, so much so that most animals cannot even penetrate them to get at the seeds.

The seeds:
If an animal could break through that exterior shell they’d then have the problem of the seadcoat, which is just as tough as the pod was. In fact, the coat is so tough that to germinate the seeds of this tree you need to use a file, hacksaw or acid to get it to a point where water can be taken in.

Since all things in nature exist for a reason, how then has this tree persisted through the ages you ask? Well, it’s believed that the fruit of this tree was a snack for mastodons. Its tough teeth and jaws were able to break open the pod and somewhat abraise the seedcoat, its stomach acid further prepping it for a proper “placement” at some later time. Since the mastodons are no longer kickin’ it with us the tree makes use of wetlands, to rot away the seed pod and seedcoat, and its ability to disperse clonally via root shoots.

P1090123.jpg

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, a friend has some of these seeds in the mail to me now. I did not know they were poisonous though!

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
boil them and you won't die :)

The pulp in the seeds has a sweet smell that sticks around for days and looks like sour apple jelly. That is to say it looks yummy :)

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good to know, but I was planning to propagate them. How many seeds does it take to make a decent faux-coffee?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
boil them and you won't die :)

The pulp in the seeds has a sweet smell that sticks around for days and looks like sour apple jelly. That is to say it looks yummy :)
:thDon't you rather wonder how the first person to make "coffee" from the seeds learned about boiling them first? :sick @Nyboy, has anyone in your family ancestry :hide experimented with these beans?

TEASING! TEASING! TEASING, Nyboy! :loveShame on me!:love

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@SprigOfTheLivingDead, congrats of your successful germination of that Kentucky Coffee Tree. Congratulations, also, on your excellent record keeping of your efforts. That's the kind of info that others need to make replicating your efforts successful.

Thanks @Smart Red , It took a couple of tries to get the germination and sprouting to take, but I have some high hopes now :)

Good to know, but I was planning to propagate them. How many seeds does it take to make a decent faux-coffee?

No clue. However, here's what another site has to say
Described as making a pungent, bitter brew, the pods are widely considered inferior even to other coffee alternatives like chicory and toasted barley.

Kentucky, a friendly word of advice: Stick to the juleps

Latest posts