Kentucky Gardeners

omran

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello everyone, here is Omran the farmer from Bagdad KY.
Come on in and plant your seeds with me,let us plant a very big O garden this spring :lol: :lol:

shelleyd2008

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi omran! I just found this thread! I'm in Columbia, south central KY. I have been swapping seeds like a crazy person over on BYC, and I'm thinking I'll have my hands full this season! I have like 3 different types of watermelon, cantaloupe (only 1 that I know of right off!), 3 different pumkin, 5 or 6 different squash (I think), plus the usual beans (blue lake bush), cukes, eggplant, tomatoes (7 or 8 of those, I think), onion, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, radish, lettuce (only iceberg :(), cabbage, oh yeah! and sweet corn! :p Plus I am getting some peanuts, pomegranate, and blueberries, oops, forgot about my strawberries! :rolleyes: And this is all not even counting the flower seeds! Oops, forgot my bell peppers too! Did I mention that I might have went a bit overboard on seeds? :D

Oops, forgot about the 4 different types of sunflowers! I'm not sure if those are considered a flower or a garden veggie? Like the 'which came first' kinda thing on that one :/ But sunflowers are fun, and the silly finches eat all the seeds anyway. I need to cover at least one of each this time, so I don't have to buy any next year! :gig

Gretel12

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am so happy to have found you via BYC! I am looking forward to spending more time composting and digging in the dirt now that I'm retired...good to see you fellow Kentuckians!:D

RedClayGardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi! I have been off for most of the winter but I just saw your posts. I am originally from Ft. Thomas KY and moved to North Carolina a few years ago. I miss the black Kentucky dirt but I love the longer growing season down here!

Friend2Fowl

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in southern KY. Hoping to get my garden plowed soon, a neighbor came down a few weeks ago with his tractor and disc, but he did such an awful job that I still can't work it :( I tried digging the parts that he missed (most of it it seems) with a shovel and hoe, but I just can't do it all. Last year was so wet, by the time the ground was dried enough to plow it, it was too late in the season. I was hoping to get this garden started last month so I could plant cold crops (spinach, brocolli, lettuce, etc.), but that didn't happen. Now I'm hoping I can get it done soon enough that I can plant the rest of it :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even if it comes down to bringing in some strawbales, spreading them as mulch, and planting pumpkins and winter squash -- you may still make a start at a garden, Friend2Fowl.

The mulch may be all you need to get that ground usable by next year. That's optimistic but possible. Whatever the case, it sounds like your ground would be much easier to work in the fall. Pull the mulch off and cultivate after your first killing frost.

Winter squash is something good to have for months on end. Halloween can be more fun with a few jack o' lanterns to carve and you may even find a local market for pumpkins in October.

The only things I can remember growing in my first garden were Kentucky Wonder green beans and turnips. Maybe there was something else but that's all I remember ;). I have no idea why I chose turnips unless it was to feed my rabbits. That's what the turnips went to, anyway - the rabbits :).

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy Kentucky! Who all's planting Cutshorts or Greasies this year? What kind?

AlienChick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:frow I'm in South Central KY -Metcalfe County.
This will be my second year with a full garden (70x50').
Last year was such a hit that I'm doing it again.
We have to surround our garden with electric netting due to the rabbit population.

This will be my first year planting pickling cucumbers. I'll be looking for a good pickle recipe!
And we eat a LOT of onions and garlic, so my entire front walkway will be lined with onions on both sides and we have a large bed in the back with garlic planted.
I was also thinking of growing okra along the fence line, but thought the rabbits and/or deer might just eat it all up.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Friend2Fowl said:
Hi all, I'm in southern KY. Hoping to get my garden plowed soon, a neighbor came down a few weeks ago with his tractor and disc, but he did such an awful job that I still can't work it :( I tried digging the parts that he missed (most of it it seems) with a shovel and hoe, but I just can't do it all. Last year was so wet, by the time the ground was dried enough to plow it, it was too late in the season. I was hoping to get this garden started last month so I could plant cold crops (spinach, brocolli, lettuce, etc.), but that didn't happen. Now I'm hoping I can get it done soon enough that I can plant the rest of it :(
You want your disked land to sit for a week or two anyway. Any chance you know someone with a plow? That's the real darling. Still, You can get in and till in a bit. How dense was the cover on the ground? We will disc twice a week apart and wait 2 more before tilling if working up new areas.

My thoughts are to you- think ahead. Work your ground up in the fall and cover with black plastic. Then in spring you are dry enough to work, it's really ready to go and moisture is not preventing you.

Disking is really step one. It leaves the ground HORRIBLY uneven. Disking or tilling when too wet ruins tilth. Spring rains really do a number in KY. I can remember days of constant downpour. But the ground is generally good there. Every year can be better. Even starting small is better than not starting at all!

Good luck. Are the Cardinals there or have they passed? That is one thing I really miss from living in KY!

Latest posts