Kids Garden Class 2018

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The kids had the day off today because of Independence Day, AND SO DID I!!:weee

Spent some quality time hanging out with my husband and then did a bit of yardwork. Not as much as I would have liked though. Somehow I've goobered up my good knee and I am moving slow.

The garden class has been perking along per usual. BFW'sOTD have been hilum, micropyle, and rhizome.
I actually learned something new myself. Mint grows from rhizomes. Hmm. Who knew? Probably everybody in the world but me, haha.

Got a little feedback from two of the kids. I was wondering from their behavior if maybe they didn't want to be here, but were coming because their parents wanted them to.
Hey, trust me, I don't want anybody to come if they don't want to. (Please don't waste my time in other words). I met with them and their parents (and I was surprisingly diplomatic :p ) and it turned out that they were bored doing the same thing as the last 3 years. So last class time I switched it up.

I followed @majorcatfish suggestion and got all that free labor educated the kids on some real life landscape techniques. Had some sod I needed to cut out so I taught them how to use an old hose to mark their line, and then to use a half moon edger to cut the sod. They had a great time peeling the sod up and loading the wheel barrows, pushing them out to the dump site and wheeling a friend back in the empty wheel barrow.

20180628_095343.jpg

20180628_095307(1).jpg
They also got a turn blowing out my boulder edging with a small blower. The boys liked that best, but most of the girls thought it was too heavy and "vibratey".

20180628_093958.jpg

20180628_095135.jpg

We do our academics too. A sound mind in a strong body and all that.
20180614_094952.jpg

Catch bugs now and then...
20180614_090359.jpg

and work in the actual vegetable patch.

20180621_094149.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What you are teaching these kids will stay with them all their lives. You might even make gardeners out of some of them. Some might go right into gardening, others might get the dirt under their fingernails itch after they retire and want something to do, all because of you taking time with them now.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love that picture of the little boy with the blower! haha

Putting kids to work doing real life things is educational and fun for them!

Mary

That kid is hilarious, I love him to pieces!
He is fearless, already rides his own dirt bike at 5, and loves everything that makes noise. I started the blower and showed him the throttle, he pulled it hard and the blower sort of tipped him back and went a little wild. I steadied it for him and he informed me he didn't need my help. Haha.

Latest posts