kikuyu grass - where can I get some starts?

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have done my due diligence on this type of grass and YES I KNOW THIS SPREADS so PLEASE before ANY lectures are offered about how fast this grass spreads, etc, I want to let anyone interested know that there is not a single portion of my yard that touches another person's yard where I plan on growing this. I live on a private road and my front 'lawn' is completely separated from the next neighbor by a minimum of 20' of asphalt on either side, and my house and drive prevent it from spreading to my backyard completely.

That being said, is there anywhere in San Diego County that I can get starts from? Preferably in North County. I cannot get grass of any kind to grow in my yard of decomposed granite and rabid gophers.

I appreciate any help you may offer.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you considered NOT growing grass? Have you looked into xeriscape plants/landscaping instead? Less water and no mowing :lol:

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That's not an option. A front yard is all we have for the children to play in because the dogs are in the back yard and the bottom portion of the yard is for our livestock. Frankly, I cannot stand xerographic landscapes, either. I have lots of fruit trees in the front and lots of room for the children to play.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of buffalo grass G_C? It's not potentially as problematic as kikuyu but is drought tolerant, non demanding and only grows to about 4" so mowing is minimal/optional.

eta: It's used at many golf courses, is finer textured than K., and really is an attractive option.

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm sure that would be just as good an option. As long as it like the most horrible soil conditions and lots of gophers, that is.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we lived in Alpine we had DG and a bad gopher problem. I used Macabee traps and caught a lot, but what really helped eradicate them the best was getting two cats that were incredible rodent hunters. You have my complete sympathy!

Gnome_Czech

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have three yard cats and they don't even put a dent in the problem. Out here everyone has an acre or more and most of that is not utilized for anything so the gophers are rampant. I LOVE Macabee traps but the ground is so hard,getting them in the hole is a big problem. So my only real choice is a grass that grows crazy and not present a problem to my neighbors by spreading.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A member here suggested Buffalo grass to me for a house I rarely use. I ordered the seed on line, threw it on fill a bull dozer spread. The only water was from rain. I can believe how good it looks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waqas5742

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I also go for the Buffalo grass its the best for people who are looking for low maintenance, what I did was to rent a core aerator (that over seeds as well) used it to over seed and aerate the lawn (I think 2 years ago) and from then on in, I have rarely done anything for it, I do aerate it once a year though, renting the aerator from the home depot construction equipment rental company.

emeraldkikuyu

Sprout
Reaction score
Gnome_Czech said:
I have done my due diligence on this type of grass and YES I KNOW THIS SPREADS so PLEASE before ANY lectures are offered about how fast this grass spreads, etc, I want to let anyone interested know that there is not a single portion of my yard that touches another person's yard where I plan on growing this. I live on a private road and my front 'lawn' is completely separated from the next neighbor by a minimum of 20' of asphalt on either side, and my house and drive prevent it from spreading to my backyard completely.

That being said, is there anywhere in San Diego County that I can get starts from? Preferably in North County. I cannot get .grass of any kind to grow in my yard of decomposed granite and rabid gophers.

I appreciate any help you may offer.

Latest posts