Killed a flowering thistle, graveyard dead with....

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
plain old white distilled vinegar. Poured it directly, undiluted, into the flowering head and let it run down the stem. Just checked the results.....one dead thistle. Now...if it will, just, kill nutgrass.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
plain old white distilled vinegar. Poured it directly, undiluted, into the flowering head and let it run down the stem. Just checked the results.....one dead thistle. Now...if it will, just, kill nutgrass.
Didn't know that was a way to kill weeds, but i'm sure you would have to be careful if you were doing that nearby plants in the garden, wouldnt want to kill those too.
Have you tried putting the vinegar on the nutgrass?

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hahahahaha...yea. It will, evenually, kill the green blades but don't know about the "nut", itself. Have taken a double nut, attached by a root, from the garden and have planted them in a container. When the double nuts sprout...I'm gonna spray one of them with the vinegar and see if it kills both of them. If it does.....then I'm gonna plant a few cucumber seeds (they germinate pretty quickly) in the container to see if the vinegar has any after-effect on the soil.

Yea....I know.....I got WAY too much time on my hands.:lol:

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
Uh, TOP of thistle dead, maybe. Wait and see about the ROOT... ;>

Works better to use loppers (or shovel or whatever) to remove as much topgrowth as possible, then wait til a new rosette has grown in its place and THEN if you want to use vinegar is the time to do it.

Just sayin' ;),

Pat

Latest posts