Killing the horse..What's the best way?

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
errh.. Horse...Radish that is..;)

I made the mistake of running over some horseradish a two years ago with the tiller. Every little chunk of it has now sprung up over a 20'x20' area, and seems to be growing with relish, (pun intended). You cannot leave a single little piece of it in the ground it turns out. Even a 1" long section of root, will begin to grow. The string roots from a larger plant are quite long, and impossible to dig out, without leaving a few pieces behind.
I am trying to stay organic,and hate to use it, but I am almost at the point where I'm thinking Round Up..

Anybody know a better way to kill the horse?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I think your best bet may be Round Up. Or fence some hogs over the spot. (Not an option for most folks though. ;) )

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son bought his Grandparent's house. They had a large horseradish patch he did not want. It took him years to get it gone. (And he finally used round up.) He 1st tried to deprive it of sunlight and moisture. Laid plywood over it and put cinder blocks on it, left in place for a full year. As soon as he took it up, here comes the horse radish! Tough stuff. My husbands Grandfather did the same rototiller thing! They had a 2 acre garden LOADED with the stuff. :p

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I also tried the method of covering it over, using black plastic. Left it on for a year, but within a week of uncovering, it reared it's ugly head..sheesh.
Wish I had some hogs to try, they would probably root it all out if they got a taste for it. Wonder if my chickens would like it..they can dig pretty good..:D

So for those that have some growing in their garden..
lesson #1..don't ever roto-till over it:rolleyes:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Oh, snap. Horseradish grows 15 ft. roots!! :th
I would buy some vegetation killer and use q-tips to treat every one that you see. It only kills all vegetation for about one year, so you won't have any real trouble. Also, do this when you have a good week of NO rain.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a thread on horseradish on here a few years back. To get it started just get a piece from the grocery and plant that. I want to thank everyone that talked about how easy it was to grow and how it spread and how hard it was to kill it out. The description is invasive with a vengeance. You kept me from making a mistake and planting some. I really do appreciate that.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've found little pieces no bigger than my pinkie fingernail that have sprouted. I put mine up against the back of the garage to limit where it could go.

Latest posts