Killing the horse..What's the best way?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, try going to the top of the page and click on your username. A column might appear on the left with "Start a conversation" as an option. I don't know if that will work with your device, browser, operating system, or without standing on your head, but give it a try.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Ridgerunner. It's actually under the "inbox" and not the username. I couldn't remember where it was! lol

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I finally looked at this, Bill. The title wasn't the least encouraging. I've killed a few bovines but never an equine. Don't intend to start!

Armoracia rusticana, I had to deal with it in two locations. I didn't plant either but managed to get rid of it after a couple of years. Yes, I used round-up.

I tried to dig it out in the corner of Dad's garden where I'd decided to put in a compost bin, framed with concrete blocks. It was extensive! The heavy compostables kept it out of the bin. It came up thru the blocks :eek:. It took 2 years of spraying.

After I moved to my current home, I found horseradish in a bed of iris. I didn't kill any of the iris. It took 2 years of spraying to kill the horseradish.

Don't expect round-up to kill all of it with one application. Round-up doesn't work quickly. Give it about 3 weeks, show up again and spray anything that looks like horseradish. Maybe you can then wait until next year. Keep checking. It won't take a "hint" that it should leave permanently. You will have to be seriously committed in sending it to Kingdom Come.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
After reading all the dire warnings of HR growers, I put mine in a container ( wine barrel half ). I got tired of it being on the patio, because it's not really that attractive, so I dug it out. Most of it anyway...I think... At any rate it hasn't emerged yet. I have strawberries in there now, so we'll see if I left enough bits for it to regenerate. I should check the "long term "compost pile in the woods. That's where I laid it to rest.

Mackay

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was going to plant some… now Im glad I didn't

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll bet you a dollar, you'll have a nice horseradish plant in that compost pile!!

Latest posts