Kind of Beetle?!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What kind of beetle is this? I seem many similar one's on my plants and they are almost as bad as the japanese beetles! They are on EVERY plant in the garden, like they have no favorites!!!

green-beetle.jpg

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine aren't as green as the first picture... it turns out I think they are these:

brown_stink_bug_adult.jpg

Stink beetles or bugs?!

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine aren't as green as the first picture... it turns out I think they are these:

http://www.cornellcollege.edu/biology/insects2003/davidmichael/images/brown_stink_bug_adult.jpg

Stink beetles or bugs?!
That bug is browner than the one I posted, but I think it is also a Palomena prisina--a stink bug. (More than one sheild bug is called a stink bug.) One "stink bug," which was just introduced to the United States accidentally in some pallets that came through Allentown, PA, about an 30 miles from me, is spreading like wild fire. Some houses have ten or twenty buzzing around in them at a time. Like the Asian lady bugs that have become so numerous in this region lately. These bugs fly with all the grace of a chalk board eraser chucked by a bratty school boy. If I'm interrupted while reading, I make myself get up and put them out of the house or inevitably they fly right into my face. :/

From what I was reading about the green shield bugs, the color can vary according to the time of year. Sometimes they are almost brown. But there are hundreds of kinds of shield bugs. I sure could be a different one. If I remember correctly, they all have sucking mouth parts and drink the plants juices or sap rather than eating the leaves. I wonder if you could have more than one kind of pest? :(

Hope you are getting the fine weather that PA is having today. Feels like Canada! Very nice.

Debby

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It may be something else that is eating the leaves (I got plenty of Japanese beetles around for sure!!!)

These guys are obnoxious... and they are multiplying like crazy whether invasive or not. I WANT THEM GONE!!!! ARGH!!!!! :barnie

As for the Jap Beetles.... that is for another rant another day... but man if they don't get off my sunflowers and Hibscus!!!!!!!! :he :he :he

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Uh oh. I don't like to here about Japanese Beetles. You are several weeks ahead of us. If you have them now, we will soon.

D

Latest posts