Kitchen garden tour. TOUR DAY!! 9-3. Bring it!! I am ready.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We will be here, damummis!

Why don't you tell that committee that you want a very specific list of questions that you can answer? Then, you can run everything by them since they have taken on a fair amount of responsibility.

Dates and times (so we can arrange airline tickets ;)) . . . no, just give us an idea what will catch people's attention during that tour. What garden produce will stand out? Be careful that you don't feel the need to harvest that crop if things are maturing early before the people on the tour get to see it. You can also have some "depth to the bench" if you need to go with something different than those bell peppers that the deer ate . . . or, something like that.

You know, we have some first class cooks here.

Steve

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Good luck and be proud your garden looks wonderful.

When we first moved here, I said (half jokingly) we should put a sign up outside "Garden Party all Welcome" and when people arrived give them all a spade :gig

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
If no one else has chickens on the tour- that will be your ace in the hole. I saw two gardens in Vermont with "backyard chickens". They really inspired me to get chickens. It is one thing to read about something and another to see it. Combining those beautiful gardens with chickens is going to be a win-win situation! Relax and enjoy all the compliments you are going to receive!

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Nope, no one else has chickens.

August 17, 2011.

I have already thought about what to plant and where. Now I need to try and snag some more seeds on the seed train. Knowing me though nothing is set in stone till planted.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh no... don't let them stress you. Plant what you like, and what you need. They will still oooooooooooooh and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh over everything! I promise! What you had this year is GORGEOUS!!!!

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Woke up yesterday morning to the sound of a big machine. "Hun, what is that?" I asked DH as he is getting out of bed. "Not sure, gonna check though." "Holy Crap!! It's B, he is stumping the lot." "What do you mean he is stumping the lot?" As I fly out of bed to look out the kitchen window, past the chicken coops. There in our new side lot is the man we bought the lot from with a HUGE excavator ripping out the stumps and burning them. Apparently he is OCD and he couldn't wait to see what the lot looked like before he went to his winter home.

The down side to this was the raging fire DH and I had to tend till 11:00 last night. I can deal. Think of all the bio-char.

Sooo, I think there will be more garden space. With that in mind, I'll need more seeds..................... anyone need sunchoke tubers for seeds??

ETA: Went out and took some pics.
6693_yard_thanksgiving_010.jpg

From the far end looking towards the house.
6693_yard_thanksgiving_006.jpg

From the street looking down to the bog.
6693_yard_thanksgiving_011.jpg

"She's still a cookin, ayhup."

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice little pile of char there. I was just re-reading some info on terra preta this morning because I burned a firepile yesterday as well. Must have been a good day for burning yesterday.

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So, we had a Garden Tour meeting Thursday. I have to come up with a bio and what I want people to take away or learn from my gardens.

I started planing and complied my seed list.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds great! When will the tour be? Would love to read what you come up with for your bio, etc. This will really give you something to look forward to. What a nice way to get through winter!

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The tour is the 3rd Wed in Aug.
I like passing the time planning but it is hard to visualize with a foot of snow on the ground.

Latest posts