Kittens

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thing is about Jack Russells is they are bred to be tough, tenatious, and utterly fearless. They don't realize they are only the size of a work boot, they think they are 95lbs and Kings of the world. They can be neurotic if not given an outlet for their energy such as mountain biking with their humans, or agility etc. They need a job. Dispatching of armadillos would be a good job. Didn't mean to thread jack was just a thought. ;)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Terriers, I understand, were bred to kill rats. I bet that accounts for their tough nature.
I used to believe that small dogs were "rug rats", but last summer changed my mind. Last August our cat "Clever" comes to the front (porch) door where we were "porching", with a stray dog.
Here, she posed for a photo
Toto1August12011.jpg

Clever had told the dog that his "servants" would take care of her needs, lol.
We open the door and both come in, our cat and a 1 1/2 yo miniature schnauzer, obviously dumped, who was dirty, hungry but more hungry for affection. We bathed her, fed her and crated her, knowing that:
1) she was too sweet to send to a shelter where she would have felt dumped yet again,
and
2) she was too little to be of use at my place, plus either the horses or the cars might run over a dog this small.
So...we found her a new home with a friend who owned another of same breed, and was looking for a 2nd dog.
This dog spent one dinnertime in a GS sized crate right next to the table (on the porch) where MY 2 dogs were begging for treats. Didn't make a sound. She was gold as gold, trying to keep her newfound happy situation. Plus she was a serious lap dog for the 5 days that we owned her.
My friend named her, "Lola," got her clipped and spayed and wouldn't give her up for anything. Happy ending.
Lolapicture08-05-11.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a face and what a great story! Your animals know you can be trusted! I love it!

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Most small dogs suffer from the Paris Hilton syndrome. They aren't treated like dogs, but like some sort of animated toy.

I believe that,( allowing for a breeds particular characteristics and tendencies ), dogs are a reflection of their owners.

We always had large breeds -Newfoundlands and Malamutes, then my sister gave me a Jack Russell. He may have been atypical, certainly he wasn't the neurotic, yappy type of JR my sister has, and they came from the same breeder.

But I expected him to behave, didn't allow unnecessary barking, and gave him lots of exercise. He was a great mountain biking companion. RIP Mosley.
I agree that most small dog suffer from PHS.
I was raised around large dogs German Shepherds, Rott's and a Irish Wolf Hound and never thought I would own a little dog but my wife talked me into getting a Standard Rat Terrier and that is one working dog. She will Rat better than any cat I have ever seen and she will "heard" the goats and one good little "guard dog". Now we have one of her daughters and she a good dog also.

But I still love my non wind up dogs ;)

Chris

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Someoe mention Paris Hilton? :old

A friend of mine is her personal pilot, and for their family. I keep asking him to ask Paris if she'd like to have a place to hide away from the Paparazzi, and she can come live with me. I keep getting told I would not survive 3 days. Heck, my answer goes, I'd exhaust her toting wheelbarrows of compost up and down these hills!

:weight

homewardbound

Leafing Out
Reaction score
The cat I have right now was born in a clothes basket (empty at the time). Her mother was called Demon and that was as much her occupation as it was her name so you can imagine what kind of cat she left me with when she moved down the block with the other 3 members of her litter. Demon looked like a black and white British bi-color short hair, but I met her family so I know she was a neighborhood mixed-breed. She had a black splotch under her chin like she had a beard. I kept trying to tell her that she was Amish and was supposed to be a pacifist kitty, but she never fell for it.

The cat Ive got is going on 14 but since 2009 she has been a completely indoor animal. I dont know if its because of boredom or just her natural belligerence, but she plays more now than she ever did as a young cat. A neighborhood cat comes to my door ever so often to say hi, but my cat just hisses and slaps him through the screen.

homewardbound

Leafing Out
Reaction score
In Victorian Era Britain kittens were used for pest control. They were put in a collar and tied to a string between stakes at each end of the garden row they were supposed to patrol to keep birds away. The cat union (not to mention the bird lobby) wont let them do this kind of work anymore.

Latest posts