kiwi update from this mornings frost

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
guess i spoke prematurely curse you jack frost

picture from this morning

picture from this afternoon

with the leafs burnt from the frost decided to go ahead and pick them.. :celebrate THIS YEARS HARVEST 64 POUNDS double from last year :celebrate

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG ... I love KIWI. :drool Looks like you will be eating a lot of them. :ya
How well do they keep? How do you keep them? Will they grow in Zone 4?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
OMG ... I love KIWI. :drool Looks like you will be eating a lot of them. :ya
How well do they keep? How do you keep them? Will they grow in Zone 4?
oh yes we will be eating a few.....

since they are"green" and hard as a rock keeping them in a cool and dark room is the key for a slow ripening, they will slow ripen over a month or so. this will allow the starch to turn into sugar
once you feel a little give you can put a few at a time in a warm area and with in about a week or so they are a perfect strawberry banana flavor.
this year since the pantry in full with cases of everything we canned we had to use plan b "the junk room" shut the vent and put the shades down.

this years goose egg just shy of of 4 oz

everything i have read zone 7 is the furthest north haywood kiwi's will grow do not know about the hardy kiwi variety...

we can only eat so many dw is going to dry some once they ripen and of course we will be giving them out as a thanksgiving presents

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look fantastic! How to use them.............Hmmm.......kiwi jelly?.....kiwi preserves?....frozen kiwi?.....kiwi margaritas?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've made a kiwi pineapple jam before. was good to also use as a glaze on fish too! with the pineapple mixed into it you have to process it for some time to get it thick enough to set correctly. kiwi alone it would probably set fine.

oh! i found this when i was looking to see if there were a few sub zero varieties that could grow up here. i want to get some myself but now i know the sub zero types tend to be fuzzless. http://www.mofga.org/Publications/M...ener/Spring2009/Kiwis/tabid/1076/Default.aspx

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dw will be making some jam since this we have a few extra this year
We are going to try to make some juice but most are going to be
Holiday presents.

Defiantly going to set up some soaker hoses around them next year
Also going some mason bees to see if we can up the harvest again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There doesn't look to be any damage to the fruit from the frost, Major'. Good Luck with the processing!

I've got some dried kiwi on the kitchen counter :p. They taste like a cross between dried strawberries and apple chips, really good! Well, I guess kiwis do taste to me like a cross between strawberries and apples :).

Some fruit seems to change a lot between fresh & dried, or fresh & canned, or canned & dried! You take figs, for instance. (I wish I could take figs . . . off a tree in my garden. Maybe I could take kiwis.)

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had the hardy kiwi for many years. I only had 3 seasons where they bore fruit. They were last on my list for care so I never found out what they really needed to be successful. They are very slow to grow but then become almost uncontrollable. The are small fruit about the size of a large grape and have a smooth skin. You just pop them into your mouth. They are so delicious. In adding a shed to the barn we had to remove them. It took a small backhoe to get them out.

Latest posts