kiwi update from this mornings frost

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
my brother sent me a link on making kiwi wine...looks interesting but was more interested in the blackberry wine, since we are not prepared to start making wine in any form at this time we decided to keep some, give some to friends and the rest to a local food bank.

with winter coming upon us it will give time to read up on making and purchasing all the right equipment to make fruit wines.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major', you can think about making wine from the kiwi and I am sure that it is worth a try.

I spent a few years trying to make wine from everything "other than" grapes. I finally, more or less, gave up. The effort ran thru 3 different times in my life and, I just MIGHT be ready for another go at it :p!

Should You Be Hoarding Bottles of Wine? (link) ". . .theres actually a shortage in the global wine supply. Thats according to a report from Morgan Stanley Research." Alarming, isn't it??!!!

Well, that wasn't my past motivation but, I can share some of my experiences that began when I was very young and later involved joining an online forum to share tips & recipes. I never tried kiwi but had 2 successes: elderberry and "Rice and Raisin Speedy Wine."

You should know that the "speedy wine" doesn't keep well. Secondly, raisins are grapes :rolleyes:. I finally tried the recipe a couple of times out of sheer desperation at failing with other choices! Also, Dad & I brewed fairly good beer. I think I should blame it on Dad - I may lack the necessary culture to do any of these sorts of things. Anyway, we found that adding about 3/4 pound of raisins to 5 gallons of beer wort was something of a "fail-safe" which suggested that the rice & raisin wine made sense.

Why not fall back on the elderberries? I will tell you what - elderberries are ready to pick at absolutely the worst time for me to go out and get them. I am just really busy during late August. That's been my excuse, anyway :/.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
For some reason, my cousin and her DH took up the hobby of winemaking. The stuff they proudly produce, label and give away for special occasions is really nasty...really, really nasty. Somewhere in my house there is a well aged bottle of it with my parents' photo, and "Happy 50th Anniversary" label. It is 18 years old. We know what it tastes like. It will remain sealed. :hide

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
while i was out of town the dw called a few food banks about the kiwis and to our surprise they were not interested in them, but she found somebody called < theproducebox.com > and they buy produce from farmers to gardeners, she talked with them and they want to buy 50 lbs of our kiwis. thats way to cool

they are a outfit that is a home delivery of fresh veggies and specialty items grown or made in north carolina. while talking with them they are interested in our blackberries as well.
plus was told that he was interested in doing a article on our raised beds for their web page...now how cool is that.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is great. Im sure you know to give us a link when it shows up on their site.

I give some of my excess to a local food bank. Ive never had kiwi but theyve never turned down anything Ive offered. So far this year Ive given a lot of eggs, tomatoes, sweet peppers, eggplant, sweet potatoes, onions, and packets of dried basil, oregano, and sage. Probably among the weirdest was a dozen Arikiri winter squash a couple of weeks ago.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's way neat, majorcatfish! I love kiwi and so was saddened to see the frost had ended their season prematurely. It is good to know none of them will go to waste now. Sounds great.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several years ago, the food bank would not take our extra produce. They said that they just didn't have the cold storage for it. What the people there were interested in was trying to get the equipment.

They got it. Now, they send people regularly to the farmers' market at closing time. We don't even need to deliver.

Before the food bank was a possibility, we would take the produce to a women's "drop-in" place. Their clients were downtown residents and I hope they got what was there in a timely manner. The admin were always very nice to us and just had to write a thank you each time.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
for selling 50 pounds of kiwis to them we walked away with 150.00 minus 30 in fuel so 120 for a no mess crop not bad.....
and we still have 14 pounds of all the small ones we kept...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very cool! :thumbsup

I checked out their website. What a neat setup! And their prices are very reasonable too. Wish we had something like that around here.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Very cool! :thumbsup

I checked out their website. What a neat setup! And their prices are very reasonable too. Wish we had something like that around here.
It is a neat concept it would go over just about anywhere,
AlSo did find a another site called nc grown and they carry meat/seafood
But they seem a little to Up tight....