Knowing What's Best for You, at a young age

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart, you reminded me of what I'd kind of like to be recently.

A TASTE TESTER FOR A MAJOR BAKERY COMPANY! :lol:

They can mail me the samples, of course plenty to make sure of the flavor and consistency, and let me email them the results...

:D

Heck, I'd do that for much less money than some pretenders would charge, but only if they mailed me samples 3 times a week.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always wanted to be a race jockey. Started drinking coffee in jr. high to stunt my growth.

It didn't work.

Now, the only think I jockey around is a wheel barrow.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a child all I ever really wanted to be was a Mommy! I did attend a two year Jr. College for a degree in Interior design. But once toyed with the idea of becoming a teacher. Probably kindergarten. So now.... I drive a school bus. :idunno I sure hope my boys think I was a good Mommy. :love

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
I always wanted to be a race jockey. Started drinking coffee in jr. high to stunt my growth.

It didn't work.

Now, the only think I jockey around is a wheel barrow.
I worked riding running Quarter Horses at a training track when my first son was a few months old. It was fun doing lap and tap, but no way did I want to be in the middle of a pack! Wheelbarrows are a lot less stressful, Thistle! :p

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started out wanting to be a geologist/paleontologist. Collected rocks for a long time. My great Uncle is a jeweler so knows a lot about this stuff. I got introduced to gardening through houseplants. I absolutely stunk at growing them at first, then after killing about fifteen or so plants I got pretty good. Then shortly after my family started to experiment with vegetable gardening. I absolutely liked it and got less interested in house plants. I then got interested in the wonderful world of heirloom and unusual crops through the seed catalogs that came in. I started out with a little 6x6 ft garden to plant anything I wanted in while everybody else decided what went in the main garden. That garden space grew bigger and I eventually ended up with my large garden and seed collection.

So I have my mind pretty much made up that I want to be a farmer/horticulturist/wildlife preservationist type of thing. I know what the risks are. I also know that it's going to be hard making money at it. But at least I won't need to worry about the food bill... :p

Peteyfoozer, any tips on training horses? We are very interested in getting one, especially Dad. The biggest animal that he has ever "trained" was a dog, and he is NOT any good at it! We have been through about seventeen dogs that I can think of. He's say it's the breed but you know...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedObsessor, I don't know anything about training horses, and very little about training dogs. However, I would imagine some basic principles prevail, just as in training kids: Be kind, firm, consistent, and let the "subject" know when they are doing it right. Lots of people screw up dog training by not being consistent. That goes for kids, too.

I am so glad you are on this forum. It gives me hope to know a young person who is so interested in a subject so important, interesting and rewarding as horticulture and sustainable agriculture. I know you will do well. :cool:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wanted to be an artist.. .was told that I'd starve.
Wanted to be an author... was told that just about everyone starves.
Wanted to be a vet.. was told that with my grades I'd never even get into vet school
:hit

Have decorated my house with my own art
Am writing a children's book (cause I just WANT to)
Spent years at a vet's office, found that there are a lot of grey areas that I wouldn't have handled well.

.. besides - without the whole string of events and circumstances that have made me who I am and brought me where I am ... wonder who I'd be????
.. .wonder if I'd like me????

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So Lucky, my dad screws up training dogs by generally spoiling them like they're royalty and putting them above the rest of the family. So, I don't know, hopefully he trains horses differently. He also has this weird knack for picked out the worst pets; no matter what species, they usually end up being sick or complete softies (when you don't want them to be!).

Anyways, thanks for the encouragement, you folks are real confidence - boosters!
:)

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Wanted to be an artist.. .was told that I'd starve.
Wanted to be an author... was told that just about everyone starves.
Wanted to be a vet.. was told that with my grades I'd never even get into vet school
:hit

Have decorated my house with my own art
Am writing a children's book (cause I just WANT to)
Spent years at a vet's office, found that there are a lot of grey areas that I wouldn't have handled well.

.. besides - without the whole string of events and circumstances that have made me who I am and brought me where I am ... wonder who I'd be????
.. .wonder if I'd like me????
I'm sure that there are plenty of children out there that would love your books. I have also seen some really odd stuff, apparently considered art, going for a lot of money. So in my view, no matter how good/bad you are, you may be able to still make a living as an artist.

I'm sure I wouldn't like myself if I turned out any other way that I am. :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed Obsesser, maybe your dad should raise Cats instead of Dogs. The finest cats are the spoiled ones. Such as mine. :D Perfectly spoiled. :)

Latest posts