La Madera Squash, from the Mountains of New Mexico

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We ate that squash. It was delicious!

Two surprises: the skin was hard as a gourd! There was relatively little flesh but it had an exceptional flavor.

Now, I have an explanation for these surprises. This squash really was ready for harvest weeks ago! Doesn't it make sense that the skin would toughen? It probably didn't grow any these last few weeks.This would explain the dry, highly flavorful flesh and that it was not thick and moist.

This variety has a very early maturity date. That's my guess and these La Madera plants are going down hard, right now! This was not the garden with the light, cucumber-killing frost. This is senescence. The plants have reached the end and nutrients are being packed away in the seeds for the next generation.
View attachment 4462
There are a couple larger ones still out there :).
View attachment 4463
There are 2 Buttercups in the near left-hand corner and an Autumn Crown hybrid under the large La Madera. The striped, orange, green, and grayish-green squash are all La Madera. They are 3# to 16#, and up.

By the way, that large Buttercup is an exceptionally large one for my garden. It weighs 7#! This has been a good year for squash.

Steve :)
Wow impressive looking squash there! I did have some like that big heart shaped one in my patch when I grew it.
I'd say your squash skins cured in the field somewhat but I notice the peduncles are still green which means you could likely do more off the vine curing.
I think these may well keep nicely for you if the skins are hard as you mention :)

As for your thin flesh, the flesh thickness does vary within La Madera much like the outside of them but also growing conditions play a big part.
Hot and dry will give you dense, dry very well flavored flesh but a wet year will give thicker more moist flesh but not as well flavored and will not keep as long which is something I mentioned way back when. Is the thin flesh a problem for you? Do the other qualities out weigh this?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The flavor qualities are just super, Hal.

You are right. This is the driest part of my gardens. The big sprinklers overlap in their coverage except at the end of this run. It seemed like a good place for the pumpkins, at least. I didn't notice any wilting through the summer. There wasn't much rain to help out.

I'm very much interested in these. They look like they will be worthy of my confidence in a more challenging year :).

Steve

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The flavor qualities are just super, Hal.

You are right. This is the driest part of my gardens. The big sprinklers overlap in their coverage except at the end of this run. It seemed like a good place for the pumpkins, at least. I didn't notice any wilting through the summer. There wasn't much rain to help out.

I'm very much interested in these. They look like they will be worthy of my confidence in a more challenging year :).

Steve
I'd certainly like to pursue the stabilizing of a cross between La Madera and Buttercup, selecting for earliness, flesh quality, small seed cavity so thicker flesh and also keeping quality.
I could quite likely select something specifically for your conditions giving you something unique and practical.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow!

That would be just super, too.

:frow

Steve
I think it would be worth while as I don't see much squash breeding going on for home gardeners, especially with their needs in mind like in your situation something fast but not sacrificing eating or keeping quality. Clean and dry those seeds pretty please :)

I really like that big heart shaped La Madera it is one nice looking squash, I have made it my desktop background.

Last edited:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think your not seeing much squash breeding for the home gardener is it's spread.

People grow a couple of pumpkins, some cucumbers and a few watermelons they are looking at a pretty big spread. Where does delicata or pink banana fit in? Or another variety?
WI think with people keeping smaller gardens squash has fallen out of grace because of a lack of square feet.

It's a shame but I think that's where it's gone.

Hal have you thought about sending seeds to Baker Creek or some of the other large seed banks? The variety you have for pies might be something they can establish in the USA and help ensure it's not lost again.

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Jared77 I have thought about sending some seeds to suitable places in the USA, I'm in the process of trying to grow out and hand pollinate for a decent quantity of pure seed for each of my rare Australian squash. I also have to check some for stability which is time consuming.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We will have pumpkin pie this weekend :).

I wanted to see how long the la Madera squash would last on the basement shelves. It had a black spot about nickel size, 2 weeks ago. Today, that spot was a little bigger than a quarter. No need to wait any longer and my favorite use for a C. maxima winter squash!

As I've said, 2014 was an unusually good year for squash. Buttercups lasted into January. I think I only lost one by not paying enough attention. Had pumpkin pie for Christmas, as I always hope to do. But, you know, if this month had a Leap Year Day, we would have dessert for a special celebration!

Still, every bite is sweet and flavorful but the saved seed wasn't what I'd expected to plant this year. Native Seed Search only has la Madera for members in 2015! It's okay, with 3 other C. maxima squash in my garden last year - I just might get lucky with the seed I've got. There will be a February 29, 2016 ;).

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Four pumpkin pies and a bacon bok choy quiche ;).

@majorcatfish inspired me (but I'm sure not in the way he expected).

Steve
IMG_20150228_103733_zpssykrhxxm.jpg

tablet camera photo

Latest posts