La Madera Squash, from the Mountains of New Mexico

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' and @majorcatfish You 2 are killing me! Sorry Steve Pumpkin pie is NOT my favorite. :hide I have Never made a quiche either. :rolleyes:Tomorrow I plan on a big pot of Vegetable beef soup. Everything from the garden except the cow!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major's garden will be the one for the sweet potatoes.

He will also have to show us some berry and kiwi pies sometime ... ;)

It's colder again and my rhubarb has stopped growing.

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' bad news had to pull up all the blackberries last summer due to insv<Impatiens Necrotic Spot virus> it was a losing battle they just kept dying, looking to replace them next year..

funny you brought up kiwis.. last years harvest of 57 lbs spoiled within a week of picking, think it was due to not picking them after the first light frost. was sad to throw them out but learned a hard lesson.

may try a couple sweet potato s this fall...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
had a sort of quiche this morning for breakfast
had eggs,bacon,potatoes, leeks,cheese,toast for the crust.
DSC_0001.JPG

better know as a dirty scramble

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish Oh come on! Coffee on my way out the door to church. Probably be doing a fancy (plan eggs 'n toast or oatmeal when I get home) Maybe I can show DH these posts and hint ... ;) Oh, I forgot hints do NOT work on him. :(

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Research, what it takes. Ya gotta get down in the weeds - advice for Carol's husband.

Of course, I'll have pie for breakfast ... I think we should work on "garden pies." An olde girl friend, I think it was but the memories are shaky, discovered the clafouti. I'm sure it wasn't the cherry recipe that I see ...

It occurs to me that the reason why I haven't taken more interest in quiches may relate to nutmeg and that also turns me off to the basic custard pie. Still and Yet! There are things about custard that I like and the scramble of eggs may just be a part of it!

Now, it could be that "clafouti" is just a word young women like to say but I came across another word that is supposed to better describe these things made with fruits, "Flaugnarde."

Here is one with cranberries and walnuts from Wikipedia:

Clafoutis.jpg

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two went to the freezer, Mary.

I had a little trouble filling them, as usual. Once I had 2 overfull, I was reluctant to try to move the filling around standing at the open oven filling pieshells on hot wire racks.

Eating the two pies that weren't completely filled hardly counts for more than 1 or 2 calories and should be taken care of in the shortest time possible.

Steve ;)

Latest posts