Lab/Great Dane Puppy!!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a great story for y'all. Carson has been coming into his own, growing up and becoming a good farm dog. When he was younger, the other dogs would bark and run towards danger, Carson would bark over his shoulder as he ran towards the house. Gradually he gained confidence and joined Paris and Trip running up and down the fence line barking at trucks and other elements of danger.

We went out of town for Christmas, we left Christmas eve morning and came back the day after Christmas. Our neighbor Robert was taking care of the animals. At 8:30 Christmas Eve, Neighbor Jimmy called me and said that our dogs were going nuts, he walked over to the fence, didn't see anything. His home and 2 acres backs up to our fence. I thanked him for watching out for us while we were gone. I called Neighbor Ron and asked if his dogs were barking and upset. He said no, and promised to watch out for us while we were gone. Around 10 that night, Neighbor Robert heard our dogs raising a ruckus and drove over to our house. All the dogs were upset, but he didn't see anything. He told me this the next day, Christmas. Sentry the puppy was in Pasture #1 and could go in a section of the barn. Trip and Paris had the run of the back yard, side pasture and could go up to the back of the sheep barn. Carson had the run of the front yard, about an acre, fenced. Even though none of the dogs were in the barn with the sheep, they were on all sides of the barn.

Neighbor Ron called Christmas morning to tell me that at 1:00 AM our dogs were barking like mad, so he got up and drove up to our gate and walked inside. Carson had bayed a bobcat up against the stock trailer! As Ron walked up the driveway, Carson turned his head towards Ron and the bobcat took off. We had a one week old lamb that would have made the bobcat a nice meal. Ron looked around to make sure that everything was ok. He said that Carson acted like he didn't want him on our property (and normally they are friends) so he kept his distance while he checked things out, then left.

So it seems the bobcat was on our place the first time the dogs made a lot of noise, when Jimmy walked to the fence, the bobcat ran off. Likewise when Robert came over to see what was wrong, the bobcat saw him and left. When Ron came over, Carson had the bobcat bayed and Ron saw it.

We are grateful to our good neighbors for looking out for us while we were gone. We are proud of our dogs for keeping the bobcat away from the sheep. We are impressed beyond words with Carson and how he patrolled the yard and stopped the bobcat. Our puppy has grown up. He ain't a scaredy baby any more!

@seedcorn
Good Boy Carson, Good Doggy. :thumbsup

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been keeping our little granddaughters this week. The 2 year old loves to play with Carson. He is figuring out how to play with her. We had to watch him closely to make sure he didn’t swat her with a big paw or chew on her like a dog toy. Last night they played sock. She ran from him, shrieking and he galloped after her. He bit up and down the sock, and dragged her around. She fell down, got back up and the game resumed.

54ef5c52-a0a7-4b57-ad82-b6625bd800d9-jpeg.9432

693789c7-2569-4e66-bcd3-f41e843d4ef3-jpeg.9433

1f2c56a1-a8b9-4c9a-acbe-dcf1429e03a4-jpeg.9434

She likes to sit and lay on him. Carson likes that game too.

9982b4ee-942b-4681-8e29-caaae0102434-jpeg.9435

2ff1e225-6e33-4b4e-a841-8de918a871b3-jpeg.9436

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Since Parker died, we have been missing him so much. @Nyboy graciously offered a Golden Retriever puppy, but my husband desperately wanted a Lab, and only a black Lab. @Nyboy offered one of his Cavalier puppies and I was thrilled to accept. Our Aussie, Polly, died in my arms last summer and she was my girl. She took every step I did. She loved me fiercely and her going left a hole in my heart.

BJ was happy for me, but still wanted a Lab. Unknown to him, I joined 6 Facebook groups, followed 3 County pound Facebook sites and haunted Craigslist nightly. All kinds of mixes, crossed with everything but a skunk. Gheesh people! Haven’t you ever heard of spay and neuter?

Last week I did a Lab search on Craigslist and an ad popped up. I nearly fell out of my decorating mistake recliner. It was an ad for Lab/Great Dane puppies! And they were black, just like Parker! I showed it to BJ and he got so excited, then started tearing up thinking about Parker, which both of us still do.

I contacted the lady and we went two days later and got one. Both parents were on site and loved members of the family. It was a “oops” spay and neuter soon to follow.

His name is Carson. BJ is thrilled.

View attachment 28469

View attachment 28471

View attachment 28470

Carson is learning his name, sit, come, hungry, water and house training. We walk him on a leash, there is so much to get into and he doesn’t yet understand that COME is nonnegotiable. LOL

Trip is treating him like a annoying little brother.

View attachment 28472

This is Carson’s parents.

View attachment 28473
They look so good. I bet its a riot when they are all in the house at the same time.

Latest posts