Label, Label, Label

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is so smart of you! A perfect storage system, HEchicken.
Ha, ha, ha! Here's my seed storage system. Of course, this is just for my flower seeds. I made pockets to put them in so I can 'pull' all of one letter at one time.
flower seeds.JPG

A little dust on mine also.

flower seeds A-Z.JPG

My garden seeds need a bit more room.
Veggie seeds.JPG

Here they are assorted by like veggies: root crops, leafy greens, etc.
veggie seed packets.JPG

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow, Smart Red - that is a boatload of seeds! I never even considered until this discussion, the need to keep a different container for veggies vs. seeds etc., since I've only ever grown veggies. This year for the first time I also plan to plant some flowers. My companion planting research finally made me aware of something you've probably always known, which is to plant flowers in the veggie garden to attract beneficial insects. I feel kind of dumb that never occurred to me before. I've just always wanted to use all the space for edible plants and didn't consider that some non-edible plants can still serve a function [slaps wrists].

If this isn't getting too far off topic…..marigolds got a pretty good rap in the beneficial department, so I recently bought seeds of two different marigold varieties. Is there another flower or two you also recommend for companion purposes?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't see any reason to keep the different types of seeds separately. Flower seeds need much the same storage conditions and can be put in with veggies as long as both are well labeled.

Here are some good flower/veggie suggestions: good for pollinators, good for predators, good for repealing pests and good sacrificial plants. A Google search will find plenty of other sources.

I grow things like dill, parsley, zinnias, and sweet peas in the unreachable middle parts of my garden bed, sunflowers at the edges, and marigolds (Mexican) in the bed corners.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! Lavender beat me to it, but I would like to order those by the gross.
No,no, not because I absentmindedly plant that many unlabeled plants, but my garden is in the Bermuda Triangle (yeah, the NORTHERN part) and labels just disappear.

Latest posts