last look at the garden til next year (pics)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have to face that the perennial-garden season is pretty much over for the year - we have had several light frosts, and are now into the pattern of cold hard rainstorms passing through many times per day. Here is what things looked like just a couple days ago, it is probably the last "alive and flowering"-looking views I will have of the garden til sometime next April:

garden040.jpg

garden024.jpg

garden025.jpg

Even the cats are enjoying one last look at the garden:

garden027.jpg

(for those of you on BYC or SS, that is Mojo my 'problem child' cat in part of the run I am building to try to keep him happy enough to quit going on hunger strikes. He also gets walked on a leash twice a day. Go ahead, laugh at me, I deserve it :p)

Pat

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pat.. can you tell me what the big white flower centered in the middle of photo 1 is? Looks like a big iris..

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love those pictures where you catch them just at the right moment!

Then suddenly it all begins to change. Too often as a visitor arrives they miss the big display! LOL

However, I see a ton of seed possibilities here! I bet all your closest friends are waiting to receive a basket of 'goodies' from your beautiful gardens! Do you make your own labels and seed packs?

I like the striking color with the big white iris mixed with all those white hues...very moon-garden like with the grays and whites. Is that a lavender or a catmint of sorts to the right?

I recognize the Gaura! very sweet!

The stuff in the front is called Hyssops? Pretty!

You have an enormous amount of space, and from the looks of it you could really add a lot of neat stuff ...plus what we didn't see! I am jealous and look forward to seeing your "Spring" and all the hidden wonders in your beds!

Thanks, :bouquet

Ron

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, is the beareded iris "Immortality" which is a rebloomer. Basically white, faint purplish tinge to buds and to flowers that are in part-shade.

Pat

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks.. that explains it. I have only had iris that blooms in the spring, that flower is beautiful!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Ron,

Huh, in a perfect world I would be all seed-saver-y and organized. However that would only occur a world without small children running amok, animals requiring maid and chef service, a deck to rebuild, a barn drainage system to dig up and fix, a large roofed chicken run to complete before winter, and about nine gajillion weeds to pull Real Soon Now... :p

The stuff at the righthand side of the pic is sea lavender, Limonium somethingorother, basically a perennial statice. I leave it standing until February or so because it keeps looking nice til then, even with snow on it.

Yes, the stuff in the foreground with the fine grayish leaves and orangeish flowers is an anise hyssop, Agastache "Apricot Sprite", which is not remotely supposed to be hardy here but mine are (they get lots of drifted snow on them). The foliage smells like a cross between gingerale and rootbeer, I really love it.

I do have a certain amount of space and the beds are gradually taking over more of it, but what I can grow is kind of limited by where I live and by how many hrs per week I have to weed... the latter thing being the REAL limiting factor :p

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awww, Pat I would miss all that too! You're going to have a soon to be sad cat when the snows come though... they can't be happy forever! ;)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I get cold just thinking about where you live!!! (half of my family are from Quebec and I am so thin skinned when I visit they laugh at me!)

your cat looks so cute there! I love that idea and wish more folks would do that! cats love being outside they just need some protection! what a great idea!

thanks for sharing :)