Late direct seeding

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have recently seeded more broccoli, peas, spinach, lettuce's, bok choy, and guy lan, radish, and green scallions. All of them have sprouted! :) I will keep my fingers crossed for a nice warm Indian summer.

The green and purple cabbage I planted from seedlings I started in the spring are yet to form heads? I have no idea what is taking them so long? The brussels I planted are looking happy, with the tiniest of sprout buds just now starting to form. The Roma beets I planted in July are staring to take form although a few have bolted in the recent heat.

I may also try seeding some collards, to see what happens. I have never grown them before, any tricks I should be aware of?

I will also seed some parsnips, and turnips for overwintering as they produce a large amount of flower blossoms in the spring, to attract bees to the garden. I am the only one who eats parsnips, or turnips in the family, so I don't grow a lot for harvest.

Any other suggestions for things I could start this late? :)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got it covered. The only thing I didn't notice on your list was carrots, which can usually be started about the same time as parsnips. Also swiss chard, but I think it is getting too late now to plant that, but you can always try.

Thanks for the information about parsnip flowers. I don't really like parsnips either, but I found a few recipes that looked good. Even then, I'm pretty sure I'll have some left to allow to flower in the spring. :D

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden, I really enjoy the parsnips in a stew, likewise with turnips. They add a certain "something" to the flavor. Turnips are good mashed with carrots, and I bet turnips and parsnips mashed might not be a bad combo.

Curly-kate, I have had pretty good success finding seed in the local garden shops, although the selection is dramatically reduced. One I went into last week, had all seeds on for only ten cents a pack! I suppose they didn't want to carry them over the winter.

I did buy some carrot seeds, and so I might just throw a few of them in and see how they do. I was tempted to plant some iceberg lettuce but I see that the maturity is 65-75 days, which makes it mid to late October. I know they like cooler weather, but I don't know if they will ever get to form nice heads before its too cold. Chard, I overwintered last year, and although the leaves wilted away after the first frost hit, they started sprouting nice new leaves come the warmer spring weather. I was able to harvest leaves right up till the frost, so I will let my exisitng chard keep growing.:)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the serving suggestion for parsnips, bills. If I manage to keep mine alive long enough (it's been a rough gardening year for me!!!!!) maybe I'll get to try it.

I planted carrots pretty late last year and even though they didn't really mature until late spring, it was nice to have something to eat while the rest of the garden sulked.

Good luck with your fall garden, bills! :)

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When I have parsnips I mash them with potatoes and mix in mushrooms. A little seasoning and its delicious.

Bills I am having the same problem with not only my cabbage but my broccoli too.
I am still playing the wait and see game with those.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Parsnips! I forgot about parsnips! Baked in a covered casserole dish with a little broth, fresh ginger and garlic, a splash of citrus and a bit of grated peel, with fresh parsley on top....mmm

I gave up on the stupid cabbage and all its relatives. The rabbits keep eating it up.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Parsnips! I forgot about parsnips! Baked in a covered casserole dish with a little broth, fresh ginger and garlic, a splash of citrus and a bit of grated peel, with fresh parsley on top....mmm

I gave up on the stupid cabbage and all its relatives. The rabbits keep eating it up.
Sounds like a good recipe Rosalind :p I love garlic, (which I have fresh from the garden), and love ginger as well, (not from garden). I have to admit I'm not a big fan of citrus peels, never acquired a taste for marmalade, so I may pass on that ingredient.

Wascally Wabbits, eh? How about a nice roast rabbit, with roasted parsnips, and new potato's, flavoured with garlic and ginger, and a sprig of rosemary...:) mmmm.. anyone have a .22 handy? :lol:

Although I see what I believe are hares?, (small ears) in my yard several time a week, they have yet to find their way into the veggie garden this year. I guess my fence mending worked....:)