Lavender

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just had to laugh, I read lavender can deter whiteflies from nearby plants. My petunia in the house is having a serious white fly issue.... right next to my petunia is my tiny little lavender plants.

They have to be flowering to actually work.... but I'm thinking of going and buying some dried heavily scented lavender to hang by those plants with the white fly issue. (Unless someone has some dried lavender they would like to sell me.)

I just was blown away by the irony of it :idunno

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Haha..that is funny.

I have lavender. I don't have a huge amount, but if you want me to snip you some, just let me know. I don't know if it really deters any type bugs, but it sure draws me to it! Mine is located right off my back porch, in the herb garden. Sometimes I brush my hands across the plant to "stir" up it's scent and sit down beside it to read a magazine or cookbook to take in the smell.

Did you plant your small plants from seed? I love to root plants, I wonder if you can root lavender? :hu

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am growing mine from seed... I've been warned they may only have a 50% germination rate. Currently, I have 11 plants our of 12 seeds in 2" pots. They look extremely healthy too. Just a long ways off from being hardy enough to plant outside yet.

I would LOVE some cuttings. I don't think I'd bother to try to reroot them... maybe just 1 for fun (my rosemary from Beavis failed and I'm kinda bummed). I'm just in a war with the white flies and right now I am desperate to try ANYTHING!!!!!

:)

I'll PM you!

Latest posts