Lawn Alternative?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We live in USDA Zone 9 and I am not a huge fan of lawns in general but we do have a small patch of land that I have convinced to put a lawn in.

Is there something other than grass, that acts like grass, that I can plant there? Something not invasive hopefully but something that people can walk on and hopefully chickens can feed on for a small about of time.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not if you want to actually walk on it without seriously damaging/killing it.

Sorry.

I would suggest sand or a nice pea-gravel, or pavers. They do have the advantage of requiring no water and next to no upkeep :)

Pat

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you mind mowing in general? Did you want it to be green? I mean, you can get ornamental grasses that are red, black, etc. I always figured if my neighbors ever got after me about the state of my lawn, I'd spell out Eff You in ornamental black grass.

I'm thinking daisies, actually. You can make a pretty good carpet of daisies, and when they get raggedy-looking in July, you just mow 'em about 4-6" high and it looks all green. Don't have to mow 'em often, either. You just can't play soccer on the "lawn," but you can walk on it once in a while.

White clover isn't bad, either. It puts up with lots of abuse and doesn't grow too tall. Is good for soil. Looks green.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my dads lawn is rye grass and clover I believe and its always green. all he does is mow it, not too short, and its always nice.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pavers and/or gravel paths plus a good drought-tolerant ground cover is much better than grass any day of the week. :D

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Pavers and/or gravel paths plus a good drought-tolerant ground cover is much better than grass any day of the week. :D
I'll second that. My lawn gets little encouragement from me. Mostly, I just harvest its clippings for compost.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
S0rcy said:
Exactly how large is the area?
About a 20'x20' square. There's a large Crepe Myrtle in the center and island flower beds around the perimeter. A stone walkway also cuts across the far left.

Everyone else, thanks for the replies. I'm thinking clover might work. I've seen it used before in a "lawn" setup and this might be the route I take, since it can withstand some abuse.

If anyone else comes up with anything, I'd appreciate it.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL, the lawn between a old and new building here was spotted in bright green last year after the seeded it... upon closer inspection, the only green patches were all clover!

Latest posts