Lawn Weed ID

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Having trouble with a good ID on this lawn weed. Any ideas? Central Alabama in March.
PXL_20210401_194704033_resize_78.jpg
PXL_20210401_194654301_resize_38.jpg

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can you get a closer pic please? Maybe next to a coin for size. Does it have sticker burrs?
No burrs that I can tell. Its not responding to a pherbicide. If it helps I think it is a speedwell. Spread by mulched bits fits, herbicide should have done it but I have so many grass types I have to go easy. There is everythng but zoysia out there.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i see several different weeds in there, which are you after?

yes, a speedwell, also mouse eared chickweed and perhaps some carrots or dill?

i dunno which you are asking about... :)

what i do to get those sorts from among grasses is go along with the stirrup hoe and scrape the mat so that the grass has a chance to come back and not be so smothered. as often as i can after that i'll go through and pull any remaining plants i don' want before they can drop more seeds.

if i don't want the grass at all i use a flat shovel to remove the entire top layer of the area and bury it deeply enough and then keep an eye on it for a few seasons until i replant it with something else.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could you dig a plant, including the root, and take a photo of just it. Maybe on concrete or a sheet of paper, just a way to get a clear individual shot, how it branches and what the leaves look like. Any flowers or seed pods might help a lot.

I did that with a type of grass I have in the lawn and sent the photo to the Extension Agent. They IDed it as Dallisgrass, mainly by the flower. There is no selective herbicide that will kill it and the seeds last a while in the ground. Their recommendation was to spray the entire lawn with glyphosate and re-sod. I haven't done that yet, don't know that I will. I've considered painting the individual plants with glyphosate with a small brush but it is pretty wide spread. I don't know that I have the patience to do that. It would be a long process.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could you dig a plant, including the root, and take a photo of just it. Maybe on concrete or a sheet of paper, just a way to get a clear individual shot, how it branches and what the leaves look like. Any flowers or seed pods might help a lot.

I did that with a type of grass I have in the lawn and sent the photo to the Extension Agent. They IDed it as Dallisgrass, mainly by the flower. There is no selective herbicide that will kill it and the seeds last a while in the ground. Their recommendation was to spray the entire lawn with glyphosate and re-sod. I haven't done that yet, don't know that I will. I've considered painting the individual plants with glyphosate with a small brush but it is pretty wide spread. I don't know that I have the patience to do that. It would be a long process.

a prime example of where a few layers of cardboard and wood chips will smother it and in the end you get improved topsoil when the cardboard gets eaten by the worms and the woodchips break down. in the case of a few stubborn plants a few rounds of cardboard may be needed but it doesn't take much to rake aside the wood chips and put a few more layers down.

i wish i could redo the entire NE garden that hasn't been reclaimed yet this ways instead of digging and burying the weeds/grasses, but i'm not wanting to cover that large an area either. instead i have to just chip away at it in the next few weeks. the weather is going to cooperate by the looks of things.

i'll need to do some other weeding too. of course. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
that's one of those flowers that came in here via a wildflower seed mix. really difficult to eradicate once established.

in gravel like the above i have to go through several times and stir up the entire area and then wait for the new sprouts to emerge and remove those and then keep at it. can take years.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
that's one of those flowers that came in here via a wildflower seed mix. really difficult to eradicate once established.

in gravel like the above i have to go through several times and stir up the entire area and then wait for the new sprouts to emerge and remove those and then keep at it. can take years.
Triclopyr. I never use it because death to trees. But...between the violets and speedwell I am thinking this is the year.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Might try CrossBow. Will kill broadleafs and in heavy doses small woody brush. Doesn’t bother grasses.