Lead and Cadmium found in Chocolate

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can metals be taken up into the plant to cause the source of this problem? Are other nuts, pods etc at risk as well? Consumer Reports is said to be the testing source in this article:

This source article has a lot of answers and context. Still bothersome to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we used to get dark chocolate from them, but in recent years we've been going more for the milk chocolate bars instead. they were always the best flavor and texture for us. will still get them (we have a current order in for 5kg).

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is a link within the article to the original report. If you read it, you may notice that the numbers used were California's standard for what is an acceptable amount (unless I'm mistaken -- I'm already forgetting what I've read, dang it). I'm not sure how that compares to other standards... although I expect CA's standard is tighter.

If you read his report, and follow the link to his twitter account to read others of his reports, you will find that he has a strong bias which may or may not affect how you view his credibility.

That being said, "Yes" plants do take up nasty stuff from the ground. They're using that as a way to clean up seriously hazardous stuff on southern Vashon Island that was blown across (in the air and settled on the ground on Vashon) from a factory south of them in Tacoma.

[eta: oops! I hadn't seen the other thread where you linked the Consumer Report article]

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
in Mom's case she ate lead paint chips as a kid. i tell her that it explains a lot...

some of the article talks about lead coming into the process after the beans are harvested so that can be eliminated with some care. cadmium can be more of an issue, but i can imagine that this will now come down as it will be checked and monitored.

heavy metals in crops can be common if people are recycling sewage solids onto farmlands and if the source of the sewage is a combined industrial and residential system. if you are smart you don't do combined systems like that, but a lot of older ones are still set up that ways.

nune

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Interesting article. I'd like to note that California's poisoning standards are very broad and occasionally products like sugar-free candy from small brands and beanbag chairs can have warnings on them that their products can cause cancer after prolonged use.

I understand the concern, but it can be ridiculous to see on packaging.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Too many foods out there with lead in them, and baby food one of the worst. Wild game is pretty bad for lead too, along with fish. Apparently leafy greens are one of the worst veggies for lead contamination.
Yeah, it's a pity; we've messed up the environment so much by now that even the natural and wild foods aren't any freer of industrial toxins than the processed stuff is. So much for going back to nature "for your health".

My chocolate brands of choice aren't on the list (since most are foreign) so I guess I'll have to stay in the dark for now.

Latest posts