Leaves Turning Yellow On Potted Fig tree

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
This spring I purchase a 5 foot potted Brown turkey fig tree from Home depot. It is in pot and soil it came with seemed to be doing good has new growth and baby figs. The leaves started turning yellow at first I wasn't worried but as more and more leaves are turning brown I worry. I did give a dose of miracle grow a few days ago.
DSCF0769.JPG
DSCF0772.JPG
DSCF0771.JPG

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope someone can help you, Nyboy. I've had mine for many years with that never happening. Water deeply until it flushes out. Then keep it a bit on the dry side until deep watering once again. I also kept mine inside a larger pot with straw insulation between pots. Having the plant in direct sunlight my be heating the roots too much?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The green leaves look healthy. It may be yellowing from heat stress.
I think Red has a good point about the roots heating up. You could slip that pot into a bigger one to keep the sides of the pot shaded.
It's a nice looking tree.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It could posibly be that it needs some iron ( iron sulphate ). Also disolve a tablespoon of epsom salts in a gallon of water , this helps in the absorption of nutrients. How fast does the leaf yellowing progressing ? It could be a fungal issue too.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's your watering that is causing that. It used to happen to me occasionally but I've sinced learned to correct it. The soil is no longer loose but is packed. Even if you think you are deep watering it is not. Try deep watering and then pull the tree out of the container. I will guarantee that it will be dry once you scratch beneath the surface. What you need to do is plant it in fresh soil and water well. Then DO NOT let it completely dry out! Since I started putting wood chips as mulch on my containers, I have not had this problem. You should be fertilizing it once a month.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Often when pots get watered the water runs down the sides and out the bottom instead of saturating the root ball, as Mary pointed out.

If the plant is manageable to pick up it's always beneficial to plunge it into a deep bucket of water and hold it down until no more bubbles rise from the soil. Then you can be sure you've watered thoroughly.