Leggy cabbage sprouts - start over?

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here's a photo of my red cabbage seed that I sprouted 2 weeks ago. I'm new to doing everything from seed and was wondering if these look too "leggy" and do I need to start over???

8794_leggy_cabbage.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What zone are you in? If possible I would start those seeds outside. They can be planted as soon as you can work the soil... If you can't do that- you might try using a cold frame. Starting seeds inside is no easy task. It is so difficult to mimic actual sunshine...Those seedlings look pretty leggy. You can keep them moist and under the light and see if they perk up- but I wouldn't count on them. Remember the gardeners mantra: try, try, again! Good luck and Happy Gardening!

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am in zone 7 and we've had a very mild winter so the will be able to get outside fairly soon. I'm building a cold frame but haven't got it done yet. It keeps raining every time I have a chance to work on it!:he

I'm thinking maybe I need to go ahead and sprout some more cabbage in case those don't make it?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What are your temps outside now? Still freezing at night? If not, I would experiment and put a few seeds in the garden. Nature is just so much better at growing seedlings than we are!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey dear... my suggestion is to start them right outside. I'm in zone 7b and I will probably start my greens outside in a couple of weeks. My cabbage, spinach broccoli and pak choi always does best direct sown. The cool temps are fine, and I keep row cover material to protect while they're young if we expect a frost.

No need to start indoors... they don't transplant well anyways. :p

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I've been outside today for the first time in days. We've had rain rain rain. I got (4) 4x4 beds ready. I think I'll direct sow the cabbage in a week or so and maybe put out the few plants that aren't "leggy". Last year I put store bought broc cabbage and cauli plants in at the end of Feb. and that was too late for the broc and cauli (bolted). That date seemed just right for the cabbage plants so that's why I started them inside. (don't want to buy anymore!)

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I recently learned that you can plant cauliflower up to the bottom leaves, so you could probably plant cabbage deep, too, if you have some starts that do OK.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They will grow but, I would start over. Did you cover the plants with plastic wrap? Mine seem to grow best started this way. Remove it as soon as they are sprouting.

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
I recently learned that you can plant cauliflower up to the bottom leaves, so you could probably plant cabbage deep, too, if you have some starts that do OK.
Last night I planted the cabbages into 3" pots and buried most of the stem. We'll see what happens. I think I'll also start a few more seed.

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
They will grow but, I would start over. Did you cover the plants with plastic wrap? Mine seem to grow best started this way. Remove it as soon as they are sprouting.
I mostly use "Jiffy Pellets" in a mini greenhouse but yes, I do use plastic wrap too. I don't have any trouble sprouting....just afterwards under the light. I'm thinking now that my lights are too far above the plants and I'm going to work on that today.

Latest posts