Leggy cabbage sprouts - start over?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It won't hurt to start a few more. Replanting those you already started pretty deep should work, but those are really delicate stems. It would be easy to damage them while handling them. With my clumsy fingers I'd be sure to bend or break a few. From experience, I know I'd damage some.

Adding light is also a great idea. If you can add it so it is on both sides and not just overhead, that will help. Like two light souces. Also, try to keep the light pretty close to the plants so they don't have to reach for it. I've read to keep the lights within two inches of the seedlings if you can. Not enough light is probably what caused that.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
jhook1997 said:
curly_kate said:
I recently learned that you can plant cauliflower up to the bottom leaves, so you could probably plant cabbage deep, too, if you have some starts that do OK.
Last night I planted the cabbages into 3" pots and buried most of the stem. We'll see what happens. I think I'll also start a few more seed.
I think the plants are too young to be buried. Don't keep the soil too wet or the stems will rot.