Let's Do Some Harvest Photos

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Come to think of it, probably fewer Swallowtails. We get the Yellows and the pale yellows some call zebra swallowtails. Maybe 70% the normal amount. There are loads of Harlequin bugs though this year. I don't think they eat much though.

Under this Fennel are a couple smaller Fennels from a very old packet of mixed Fennel seed. They sprouted after I gave up on them and bought the smoke fennel. Those small ones might well make it through the winter for next year's Fennel seed crop.

Those Safeway Cluster F2's are going to make a pretty good variety stabilized. Yes, there are some people who like and prefer the taste of store bought tomatoes. They ripen inside well, the skin is not that tough, and they come in handy dandy clusters. I might just cross some with something like Stupice or Genovese.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just came back in from my morning :"sunrise bean harvest".

Br, not real warm or anything like that out there. 48.2 on my digital that needs new batteries real soon. That's the coolest it's been since May.

I do my morning harvest in my socks and old sandals. Maybe I should start with the shoes for the cooler seasons. Nawww, that'd be admitting it's getting chilly. Can't do that before any of the Californians! Gotta have icicles hanging from my ears before I admit it's cold!

I got some Cowpeas and some Flor De Mayo dry Beans.
There's been a Gopher circling the garden...I really don't want to put my gophergitter Clevland into the garden.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DSC00536.JPG

My reclining Ovation onions. The tops went down about 10 days ago and I carried a couple of buckets of them out of the garden this morning.

These are a sweet onion but in the university trials they don't rate as real, real sweet. Maybe, that is why they have a darn good storage life!

I wanted to try something a little more modern than Walla Walla and Utah, especially after I learned that the farms have a selection of strains of Walla Walla that represent more modern onion breeding. Whereas the gardeners . . . who knows?! The packets of seed simply say "Walla Walla" and is probably just the cheapest seed the catalog folks can get their hands on.

Okay, I'm overreacting. Onions do well in my garden so what am I complaining about?

Ovation. This is the 3rd year I've grown them. They are a product of Sakata Seed, a Japanese company responsible for some of my favorites! Many catalog outfits sell their seed and Osborne Seed sells Ovation.

Steve

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking at the websites of those 2 seed companies Digit. The pictures of some of the bush varieties of bean osborne's has a couple or 3 that look like greasy bush beans! (I need to make some coffee!) Is it already getting to be seed catalog season yet?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, those are gorgeous, Thistle!! :drool Plump and round and not a blemish on them. Those MP's have sure been good to you!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Journey and Cat!
I know! Potatoes are so beautiful aren't they? Once they're cleaned up I mean :) .
There were plenty with blemishes, and many small ones, but these were the photographers picks doncha know!

No, only the skin of the Purple Viking is marbled. The flesh is white.

I order my seed potatoes from The Potato Garden in Colorado. But I've seen the PV's locally.

Latest posts