Let's Do Some Harvest Photos

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Big bertha sweet pepper next to a normal sized sweet from saved seed.

7100_big_bertha.jpg

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Your pictures are all so beautiful!! The corn, the tomatoes, peppers, sweet potatoes, squash! My goodness you all did a great job!

Marshall, I love the beans. I had no idea they came in so many different colors!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, we all love pictures! Cat, where did you get that basket? I just love it because it's wooden and has those mesh wire sides. How old is it?

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
9018_100_4072.jpg

This is the Orange Speckled Paiute Tepary I'm sorting and segregating into a pure variety. Photo taken before sorting. The speckled beans are a dominant trait, which means it is difficult to stabilize. Probably the reason it is not yet a standard set variety. I have it figured out now.

Just removing the bright orange beans yields this mix: A quarter of them will still yield bright orange, non speckled beans this way. Here is why. Half the orange speckled seeds carry the non speckled genes.

But I have noticed that about half the beans are more heavily speckled, and even bumpy at the speckles. I'm pretty sure those are pure for speckling. Next year I will individually plant the heavily speckled ones, and save seed from each plant separately. Those plants which produce heavily speckled seed will be the only ones I plant from the year after. They should stabilize by then. ...unless there is an insidious codominant gene involved...

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Recessive genes may show up at any time too. Example: In horses, grey is dominant ( a dominant modifier gene), then bay, then chestnut ( needs 2 recessive chestnut genes to be expressed), then black. I owned a grey Arabian mare with a pedigree for 5 generations of all grey ancestors, then in the 6th generation, one chestnut mare. I bred her to an Arabian stallion that just happened to also have all grey ancesstors for 5 generations and one chestnut in the 6th generation back. My mare produced a chestnut filly. The chestnut gene ( without the grey modifier gene) was carried hidden for 6 generations for both the mare and stallion. Isn't genetics fun ? :ya

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cool. I love genetics. I have a great great grandson of secretariat, and great grandson of spectacular bid. He is white with brown flecks -almost licke an appy, but he is an appendix quarter horse. Of course there are a lot of generations involved.
bobm said:
Recessive genes may show up at any time too. Example: In horses, grey is dominant ( a dominant modifier gene), then bay, then chestnut ( needs 2 recessive chestnut genes to be expressed), then black. I owned a grey Arabian mare with a pedigree for 5 generations of all grey ancestors, then in the 6th generation, one chestnut mare. I bred her to an Arabian stallion that just happened to also have all grey ancesstors for 5 generations and one chestnut in the 6th generation back. My mare produced a chestnut filly. The chestnut gene ( without the grey modifier gene) was carried hidden for 6 generations for both the mare and stallion. Isn't genetics fun ? :ya

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow such organization. How beautiful.
marshallsmyth said:
This is my top dresser drawer of 4 filled with 12 ounce size coffee cans of Beans.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/9018_100_4043.jpg

The varieties here are, top row, left to right:

Italian Flat Wax Brown Seeded, Bush
Hidatsa Red, Bush
Tarahumara Purple, Moderately Late, Pole
Rattlesnake Pole, my selection
Hutterite Bush
Flor De Mayo, Moderately Late Pole, main mix

Middle Row, Left to right:

Tennessee Freckled Green Pod, Running Bush, selected as a brown dry bean
Rose Bolitas, Bush, Early to mid, finishes. Extremely productive
Eye of the Tiger unusual markings, Determinate quarter runner, very early
White Greasy Sallee family Kentucky heirloom, pole, midseason, healthy selection
Indian Woman Yellow, tender pole, main selection
Burgundy Bolitas, bush selection, mid season...selecting for bush still. Some may vine still.

Bottom Row, left to right:

Italian Borlotto Pole, midseason, multipurpose, productive
Kim's Italian Flat Green, tender pole
Capirame Low Pick, still selecting!
These are a Cranberry type.
Some individuals made very tall runners after cropping.
Some have marked pods, some plain pods.
Yoeme Pastel Ojos mix, midseason pole
Nova Star, midseason pole. This is the new appearing variety
Black Spanish Pole, early to end of season continual

This is only one of the 4 dresser drawers. I also have a smaller plastic set of drawers with more, and the Peas, and I also have several plastic boxes of envelopes of seeds...

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The basket is many years old. And I must say it has not been well cared for. I just love it. I got it at the Boston Flower Show. The company is Maine Garden Products. The price has not gone up much since I bought mine. The newer ones are even nicer than mine.
http://stores.mainegarden.com/
ninnymary said:
Yes, we all love pictures! Cat, where did you get that basket? I just love it because it's wooden and has those mesh wire sides. How old is it?

Mary

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the Smoke Fennel. Hoping for some good fat seeds from these.

9018_100_4118.jpg

Front of the garden

9018_100_4112.jpg

Flor De Mayo Beans

9018_100_4102.jpg

Big Rainbow and Safeway Cluster F2 Tomatoes

9018_100_4090.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful 'maters! I've been dying for a taste of a stripey all summer. My dad gave some to my sis, but I didn't get any! :p

How've the butterflies been in your area this summer, Marshall? Usually my fennel, anise, dill and parsley are covered in swallowtail caterpillars, but haven't seen a one this summer. I thought that was odd.

Latest posts