Let's Talk About Heirloom Tomatoes

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tell me I should buy a 4 PAC of Arkansas Travelors for $.25. Getting rid of last of plants.
Yes! Buy them and send them to me!! .25 cents? That's a deal! I grew Arkansas Travelers last year and they were comparable to Celebrity hybrid. They produced well, medium size and were delicious. Heck, buy several 4-packs!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Homestead tomato report; I picked 9 yesterday, 5 this morning, they range in size from smallish-medium to fist sized. They have a very good taste and they are producing well. I just hope they keep it up through the heat and don't keel over like most tomatoes do when it gets hot here.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They have several hundreds of tomato plants. I bought a sweet potato plant ($.25) and a perennial ($1). I could make room for 4 but of what value over Big Boy or any other type? Also had tobasco pepper plants. Wish I had room for them all

I left out KEY word.....why should I buy a 4 PAC of Arkansas traveler tomato plants?

What I get for not proof reading before hitting post....:idunno

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Why? Because you might find your dream tomato - you might find that it's a heavy producer, that it's resistant to this or that, that it tastes great, that it's drought tolerant. It might even surpass your Big Boys. Then again you might find the Arkansas Travelers to be the exact opposite and never want to be involved with the variety again. You never know until you try them! It's a risk, just like so many other things in gardening.

Your experience/s with a certain variety may also be useful to gardeners in a similar climate as you.

And like Thistle said, they're cheap.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If it's good then you found a winner. If they fail or don't taste like what you want your out 25 cents a plant. That's not much to gamble on. I'd buy 4 and see what happens. I bough 2 Lemon boys for a quarter a piece a few years back and now it's a staple in my garden.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could prune those indeterminate into whatever space you have.

Of course, I don't know a thing about pruning but, as a retired person, should learn. That is, unless I continue with all this gardening space and not back off the nearly 30 varieties that I grow.

I think I've done well setting some limits, Seedcorn. I mean, 10 years ago and faced with all this gardening potential, I would have brought a tractor.

Steve :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the other hand, you may have the same results as I had with my 5 cent pepper plants a couple of years ago: Two months after planting, they were the same puny size as when I planted them. Stunted and non-productive for all their short life, in spite of my resuscitation attempts. :oops: