Let's Talk About Heirloom Tomatoes

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the other hand, you may have the same results as I had with my 5 cent pepper plants a couple of years ago: Two months after planting, they were the same puny size as when I planted them. Stunted and non-productive for all their short life, in spite of my resuscitation attempts. :oops:
Had same experience last year with peppers. Over that.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have heritage tomato pictures! I took pics of them whole and sliced. The large tomato is Cherokee Purple. It has greenish shoulders, a deep rosy-purplish color and when cut, the green shoulders are rosy on the inside. The smaller tomato is Gypsy. The shoulders are very green and deep rose-purple inside when cut. The tomatoes might have colored up darker, but darn it, we wanted to EAT them!

Tomatoes ripe CP Gyp.jpg

Tomatoes sliced.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry, green or black tomatoes do not look appealing to me. I'll stick with red ones.

Did try some black ones, not impressed with productivity or flavor.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have heritage tomato pictures! I took pics of them whole and sliced. The large tomato is Cherokee Purple. It has greenish shoulders, a deep rosy-purplish color and when cut, the green shoulders are rosy on the inside. The smaller tomato is Gypsy. The shoulders are very green and deep rose-purple inside when cut. The tomatoes might have colored up darker, but darn it, we wanted to EAT them!

View attachment 3099

View attachment 3100

Now that's what I'm talking about! :drool

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
And tonight's favorite is German Johnson, a large pink tomato. @PhilaGardener and I traded seeds, Chocolate Cherry for German Johnson, so this is a sneak preview for you! The Chocolate Cherry hasn't ripened yet, but has little green ones on the vines!

I sliced the German Johnson and got a good center cut that showed how meaty they are and how few seeds. Because of it's weird shape, there were some small slices. The tomato showing stem side up is not fully ripe yet, (gotta beat the birds) but wanted to show ya'll both sides. The Tommy Toe in the picture is for size comparison.

The taste test: My husband bit into a slice and a look of pure bliss came over his face. He told me to just grow Tommy Toes and German Johnson from now on. He bragged on the tomatoey flavor and how it was the best tomato he ever had in his life. So there you have it, folks. The taste is 100% THE BEST IN THE WORLD!

Tomato German Johnson.jpg

Tomato GerJOhn sliced.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now that you will have acres, no need to plant just a couple of varieties. Or even a couple of gardens

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
German Johnson seems to be a very popular variety in the South.

I'm thinking of moving there so I can enjoy a taste, the best in the world!

Oh Shoot. Maybe I should just start tomatoes under lights in January and pot up in one gallon containers, get them to set fruit in the greenhouse in March, move them out under plastic ...

Did you know that after this week we may no longer have afternoon high temperatures in the low-50's ??!

Steve :\

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey Steve, you gotta do what ya gotta do. I started my tomatoes under lights in the basement in february, moved them into a cool greenhouse (minimum heat) in March, potted them into styrofoam cups. When the roots filled the cups they were moved into gallon pots, they stayed in the greenhouse until the were ready to be planted into buckets, then they were moved outside along side the greenhouse. You cant see them but most have tomatoes forming, Black Seaman on the far end already has tomatoes the size of golfballs. Growing in buckets isn't the best way to grow them but when short of space ya do what ya gotta do :). Most of my available garden space is taken up with my obsession with pole beans. Tomatoes can be iffy here, especially if we have a poor summer. Transplants planted out in the garden the end of May or early June if we're lucky we have ripe tomatoes in late July more likely August/September. I think I'm in zone 7b, the powers that be keep changing it.
DSCN5442.jpg

Annette

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks Great!

What do you know about your neighbor Tatiana's TOMATObase (link), Annette?

Go ahead and click that link, if you will. It's to Tatiana's Facebook page. She is commenting on her 0-33 tomatoes.

I like how she says in the comments, "we never get any heat here." :) The 0-33 trial has to do with frost tolerance.

Steve

Latest posts