Lets talk poop

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Rabbit that is. I just bought the kids three new bunnies and am wondering what the best way is to use the poop.
Its cold now and since I am not gardening I will throw it in the compost heap.
But for next spring is it better to mix it directly into the soil when I am planting new flowers, or side dress old ones, or let it age like chicken poop in the compost heap.
Also, if I add it to the compost heap will it throw off any of the nutrients since I am using chicken poop in there as well.
I don't know if its too much of a good thing, how all the components of the compost heap work, whether I should balance it out with something else if I am now adding this to it.
Thanks for any input.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought I heard that you can use rabbit poop directly on plants, but you might want to see what others say before you try it.

Otherwise, as long as you are throwing the wastes in the compost with some of the bedding, you should be pretty well balanced.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I was also wondering how much of the shaving is okay to add to the compost heap before it throw it off.
I throw the bedding into the heap from the rabbit cage and its not that much, but I also add the shavings that get scooped out when I clean the chicken coops.
I know I heard someone say a while ago that the shavings take a long time to break down but they said that it actually kind of worked like a mulch when you used it by retaining water better.
But I have no idea how much is too much or if I should keep doing what I am doing and go heavier on grass, leaves or something else.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have used both straw and pine shavings with my ducks and have composted both (after they have soiled it). Both seem to compost fast. I never had a problem with too much of this or that, but I also add vegetable scraps, weeds, etc. Whatever you have laying around would probably make a fine addition, if you want. But I do think it would be fine without anything extra either. Just from my experience. I also turn my pile during the growing season, now and again, and it goes fast.

Have you composted before? Did you start the pile with a little finished compost? I add some whenever my pile seems to slow down and it seems to help.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I started a compost heap last spring, but it wasn't from any existing compost. I figure it will be quite a while before its usuable.
I actually would almost get rid of that eyesore if I didn't have chickens and rabbit poop to get rid of and just buy compost.
Although, my dad is older now but still loves to plant his huge veggie garden every year and he is all excited to get is hands on my poopy compost.
I am going to try to move it to a new more inconspicuous spot next year I think.
I was thinking of getting a couple of goats and I would need that section of the yard anyway and I would have to move it.
Now, that would be another whole thing to think of wouldn't it, what to do with all that goat poop.
I am thinking I might have to dig holes and bury it and dig up the soil from those holes later.
Hmm, who would have thought I would be wondering how to get rid of all this animal waste someday.
Who woulda thought I would have 50 chickens and rabbits though either. Not me.

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh my , do I love my goats and the milk and cheese are wonderful , I also have lots of poop!
I heard that rabbit poop is like goat poop as that it does not burn the plants like chicken poop , however we do have to worm our goats here in the south so I dont plant plants that are underground or that grows close to the soil like spinach, lettuce and potatoes for at least 8-months but it'works great for cukes,beans,corn,tomatoes and other upright growing veggies ,even fresh poop will work and not burn SOooo I would think rabbit poop use the same way and if Rabbits dont have to be wormed ,then use the fresh poop , is ok. I know nothing about Rabbits so I may just be telling you poop as to Rabbit poop use. :/ , I just worry about chemical wormers in my soil and on my veggies.
Chicken poop, I use the chips in the chicken house adding several bags thru the season and clean it out in the spring for my garden and again in the fall for fall garden, I just spread it all out and till it all together and plant but I only have 10 chickens and use several bags of chips so I have the poop diluted out with lots of soil and chips as chicken poop is hot and burns plants easily.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Simple life -- If I were you I'd buy some finished compost. Then I would move your existing pile to a more secluded area (best if it is shady too), and then top it with the finished compost, water it in a little (or a lot if there are dry spots) and then cover it with a tarp. Just moving it will help aerate it and mix it up better, but I think you will have a lot better luck if you top it with finished compost. That is one of the tricks to getting a good pile started.

If you have a lot of animals, composting should work well for you, but you may need a large area to devote to the process. Right now (now that I have a lot of ducks) I try to keep: 1. a pile of new materials (several months worth of waste), 2. a pile that is actively in the process of composting, and 3. a pile of nearly finished compost material (from last growing season's waste). I also have one pile of finished compost that I am spreading around my garden right now. All of these piles are covered with tarps to keep the moisture just right, and to make them a little bit less unsightly. I am generating about 2 cubic yards of compost per year. It is sort of shocking!

So, to try to simplify this for you, I am keeping a little pile of new materials, then adding it at regular intervals into the large active pile -- I take everything (partially composted) from the inside of the big pile and move it around the edge, then fill the inside of the pile with new material, then top it with some of the material I just took from the inside (and moved to the outside). I do that occassionally through winter and about every two weeks through spring/summer. Then in fall/winter I move that pile over to a new location and let it sit for several months or a year (until I need it or need to get rid of it). And I begin the process again with a new active pile.

Your compost will go much faster in the growing season and won't go much, if at all, during the cooler months (depending on where you live). Turning the pile, and especially moving the pile can be labor intensive, but it helps keep your waste processing quick. I find it to be good exercise, but my method of minimally turning the material from just the center of the pile (instead of turning the entire pile) seems to work really well and not be too exhausting!

You may also find people in your area that would like to take your manure off your hands for free. Good luck and happy composting! Once that pile takes off you will be amazed! :D

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the advice. I am going to get going on that and have a better system like you said, in place by spring.
Thanks again guys.

Mikeeeeeeeeee

Leafing Out
Reaction score
far and away the easiest poop to use is horse.
No weed carryover, and used in normal amounts it will not burn.

Madfarner

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Rabbit manure won't burn plants--it can be applied directly to the garden a little at a time. If you can make a worm bed directly under your rabbit cages & add a little bedding--shavings, dry grass clippings, or straw, the worms will turn it into excellent compost for you--no work!

Madfarmer

Latest posts