Let's talk pruning the apple trees!

littlelemon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have several young apple trees that I should probably prune. I planted them 3 years ago, and last year I hardly had any blossoms and no fruit at all. The first year I did have blossoms and a few apples. Last year could have been a freak year, but I think my trees would be best served if I pruned them.
I could probably google to find the best method, but I thought I would ask on here and see if any seasoned pruners had any advice for me.
Thanks~

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know we had a similar discussion recently, but I think it was about a different kind of fruit tree? I couldn't find it...

I just bought some apple trees, and I did find a site online that will probably give you all you need to know about pruning. in fact, now looks like the perfect time to start for you. Also, it commented about ONLY pruning new growth, because its the 'old' wood of the tree that will produce the fruit.

I hope that helps!

http://www.weekendgardener.net/how-to/prune-apple-trees.htm

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm no fruit-tree expert but AFAIK you will not go far wrong if you prune it like anything else:

Remove crossing branches, branches heading towards the inside of the canopy, and those with weak crotches (with the branch coming out almost parallel to its parent branch or the trunk -- attachment angles nearer 90 degrees are stronger). If you are trying to keep the tree short, cut the leader back to a plausible point (just above a strong branch).

With apples you also want to discourage 'watersprouts', long gangly growth that heads straight upwards; and when it gets older, also any branches that droop badly downwards. Also any suckers, though there probably aren't any yet on yours.

When you cut a branch back to anything other than its branch collar, look for a growth bud that faces the direction you want the replacement branch to grow, and cut off just above that.

It is really pretty simple; one thing that will help is don't do it all in one day. Maybe go through and take out all the trees' egregiously crossing and damaged branches one day, then walk around and look at them and think, and go back inside. The next day, take a second look, then prune out weak crotched branches and thinning the interior of the canopy, and walk around and take another look, and go inside. The next week, on reflection you may decide it needs a bit more pruning, so that's fine.

This is a bit less apt to result in "lopper mania" and regrettable consequences :p

Oh, if you are the kind of person that really likes to trim off even teensy little things, find out whether your apple variety(ies) are spur-bearing or not. If they are spur-bearing, it is real important not to lop off all the spurs :p

Have fun,

Pat

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
+1 what Pat said.

Also, if you have a branch that is growing at a weird angle but lopping it off will make a bare spot, you can always stake or spread the branch correctly with a piece of scrap wood and heavy twine.

If they were planted only 3 years ago, and they set fruit the first year, I think you shouldn't expect much more fruit for at least another year. Best thing to do is rip all the fruit off the first couple of years, so the tree puts its energy into making roots and branches.

I know, it sucks, you really want to taste just one of your own apples. You gotta be strong. ;)

littlelemon

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I did do a little pruning last week, so hopefully it will help a little. I was very sad that last year my trees hardly blossomed when my neighbor across the street had beautiful blossoms. I couldn't figure out what happened, I knew it wasn't the weather- hopefully this year will be better.

Latest posts