lettuce, lettuce, lettuce....coming out of my ears!!

mener6896

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
2 questions:

what do you do with all of your lettuce!!! I can only eat so many salads..... :)

some of my lettuce got kindof mushy and turned yellowy/brown at the roots. Is this too much water? we have had a ton of rain. Or could it be ants? I did notice a lot of ants right where the problem area is. If it's the ants, should I put DE on it since it's food grade, or what can I use that isn't a pesticide?

Thanks,
Mendy

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
when I am overwhelmed with food ..especially greens ..I bag it up and take it to the food bank :)
nothing feels as good as giving my extra produce to folks who can not afford to buy it but really need it in their diets!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I feed it to my ducks, who convert it to eggs. Eggs stay fresh for months...so I think converting greens to eggs is a very efficient long-term storage solution :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too much water and inadequate air movement cause plants to be vulnerable to fungal diseases. Enjoy your lettuce at the peak of its quality!!

And, never be disappointed at the prospect of feeding your compost pile! It will repay you ;).

Steve

Natalie

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I take it to work, everyone there eats like bunnies!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah... the animals here get the extra. However, If I were you I would make some Tuna fish with lettuce and mayo right in the mix, maybe some egg salad with the lettuce right in the mix as well for sandwiches. I would even make some potato salad for myself, and some to share with a neighbor to get rid of it!!! :)

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 4 rows of lettuce, each 12 ft long.... I have brought bags and bags to work, given it to my chickens, my family is tired of salads... so back to the chickens and ducks...maybe to the food bank but ours is so picky and I am not washing it all for them.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just make alot of salads for the family when I have an abundance of lettuce.
I have given some of it away to neighbors and friends but usually I just make up a bowl of salad every day and leave it in the fridge for the kids to help themselves.
They are too lazy to make a salad themselves or it just wouldn't occur to them so the lettuce would probably just sit there but If I make one up and leave it they will use it up and its good for them.

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
we're trying to grow lettuce so we can feed it to our chickens who LOVE it

Latest posts