Lettuce Seed Germination

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lettuce used to be one of the easiest things that I could start from seed, but for the past three years I couldn't get anything. I don't think that I've done anything that could affect the germination. I just sow the seed over open ground. Should I try starting them in a seed flat? Suggestions?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
seed'o in no way a expert, but have learned over the last couple years on starting some lettuce early in the season indoors under light and once the weather turns< aka no frost> transplant them outside and then sow your seeds outdoors once the soil reaches 50 -60.....
hope this helps....

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I find that lettuce seed seems to lose viability quickly, so be sure to start with fresh seed. I just tested several lots of seed from 2011-2012 and none of it germinated for me. Lettuce seed needs light to germinate, but if you just sow in the open maybe birds are getting the seed? I also start indoors early in the season, like Major.

Reactions: Hal

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I second what PhilaGardener says...I've never gotten it to germinate past a second season.

SeedO, try it in a plastic container like you get donuts or salad mix in. I WS'd some of mine and it did great that way too, but I think it may be getting too warm to do that now. Or maybe it would be ok in the shade. That extra humidity in a container should make it sprout well. I planted mine in regular potting soil.

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lettuce used to be one of the easiest things that I could start from seed, but for the past three years I couldn't get anything. I don't think that I've done anything that could affect the germination. I just sow the seed over open ground. Should I try starting them in a seed flat? Suggestions?
You can always start them indoors but the should be easy to grow outdoors. They need to be kept moist for a week or so and should come up. Try various types of seed. I would think you had bad seed.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PhilaGardener is correct lettuce has short viability. If I was saving seed I'd likely keep mine in a sealed container in the fridge to improve the life of the seed.
I've done germination tests when I was studying horticulture and if stored poorly it loses viability very quickly.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Could it be the seed is drying out, when just sprinkled on the surface of the soil like that.? I usually cover my lettuce seed about a 1/2" after planting, to help prevent them drying out too rapidly.
Is your garden center trying to dump old seed? I often see "specials" on last years seeds..Many are just fine still, but with some the sprout ratio is very poor compared, to this years seed.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You may have to water them 2 X a day until they sprout. But, if nothing is coming up I think you have bad seen. I start mine indoors and then plant seed outdoors when I plant my seedlings.

Andy J

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I haven't had much success sowing them directly into the garden.Also,they seem not to germinate well if the soil is very warm,say over 70 degrees.

Latest posts