Lickbranchfarm's 2018 Garden thread

Really nice garden! I bought okra last year from a local guy, picked that morning. Buying okra was so easy, got it all put up in a day-done! I'm not going to plant any this year and use my garden space for something else.

Have you thought about fencing in the peas and putting a yappy dog in it to keep out the deer? A bushel of shelled purple hull peas brings $30-$45 in Tyler! How much do they sell for there?

Okra is expensive here, I get $2.50 a pound for it, grocery stores get $3.00-$3.99 a pound. I sell it by the 10 lb. bag.
PHP's are about the same here, $45 bucks a bushel, but I never have enough to sell. Deer! My son and I do deer hunt, we put 9 in the freezer this past season, we process our own meat, and he killed a few with the bow on this farm but I'm going to have to put up an electric fence or something, my dog would be out there playing with them Lol. He looks intimidating at 95lbs but he's a big teddy bear.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@murphysranch, the first time I tasted okra was when my MIL slow fried it and I have perfected that for home. It is our new, no salt potato chips bc I use olive oil and Mrs. Dash.
VERY JELLY @Lickbranchfarm !!
That's a Great deal of work, so I don't envy you THAT.
Since you are kind off season, you might want to search the Net for videos of Urban farming, smaller properties that sell produce. There is one in Sparta, GA where they bought up properties and I think they farm on 5 acres.

Its an acquired taste, In our house, it comes fried, in every soup you can think of, baked whole with butter and garlic, and my favorite, pickled. I love pickled Okra, I bet if you ever try a good pickled Okra recipe you'll fall in love with it too.

It is a lot of work, but we enjoy it. Its stress relief for me, I can bury a lot of work stress In a garden Lol.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is a lot of work, but we enjoy it. Its stress relief for me, I can bury a lot of work stress In a garden Lol.
AMEN to that! We also have a large garden. Way more than we consume but freely give the surplus to my MIL, the grown kids, co-workers and neighbors. Your garden looks wonderful;. Good Job on the tractor renovation. DH bought a 1949? Ford years ago wanting to do that. Still looks like the day he bought it. but does run!

Lol I know what you mean, I bought a 240 Massey Ferguson diesel a while back to rebuild.....stilll looks like it did when I bought it, but it runs Lol.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lickbranchfarm here is a photo of hubbies tractor shortly after he bought it. Then one from Father's Day. Yep it makes a great photo prop too. ;)
At the lot, May 19 016.JPG

058.JPG

Latest posts