Lickbranchfarms 2020 Garden

Well let see where to start.....

Since the last video i put up, my you tube account was compromised. Lost all my content and had to completely start over. I learned a valuable lesson, and put measures in place to protect my account this go around.

The plan when we bought our land 5 years ago was to build our home on this farm, well some things have changed and while we will still be living on our farm, it will be on new acreage we recently acquired. Our closest neighbor, Lived in a ranch style brick 3 bedroom, 2 bath home that borders my farm, her daughter recently moved her into an assisted living home, Shes in her late 80's and could no longer stay alone. My wife seen them moving furniture out of the house and stopped to check on the lady, when her daughter asked if we would be interested in purchasing the home. Seems the daughter was the only sibling financing her mothers bills and was going to use the proceeds from the home sell to help her mother live more comfortably financially. After inspecting the home we seen it was going to be a good bit of work, but made an offer, and she accepted.

So now we own a few more acres that border my 20 acres and my farm gates are within site of my living room window. I can literally walk out of this house across the back yard onto my farm, its that close. We officially closed on the home last Monday and begin the demolition process. I said after my last remodel that I would never do this again, but this deal was almost to good to pass up. Its a really nice home, although it has issues, its nothing that cant be fixed. So While I've been busier than cat covering up poop, my gardens are doing very well this year, harvested my potatoes 3 weeks ago, planted 15 pounds, harvested 125 lbs. Im on my 2nd planting of green beans, got 4 pickings off the first batch. Squash is coming off in bucket loads, cucumbers have just kicked into high gear, and tomatoes are loaded. I have been working everyday on the house, and try to spend time in the gardens in the early mornings while its cool. I'll try to get some recent pics up loaded soon.

And another that I did on my second planting of purple hull peas after the deer got the first batch......

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well let see where to start.....

Since the last video i put up, my you tube account was compromised. Lost all my content and had to completely start over. I learned a valuable lesson, and put measures in place to protect my account this go around.

The plan when we bought our land 5 years ago was to build our home on this farm, well some things have changed and while we will still be living on our farm, it will be on new acreage we recently acquired. Our closest neighbor, Lived in a ranch style brick 3 bedroom, 2 bath home that borders my farm, her daughter recently moved her into an assisted living home, Shes in her late 80's and could no longer stay alone. My wife seen them moving furniture out of the house and stopped to check on the lady, when her daughter asked if we would be interested in purchasing the home. Seems the daughter was the only sibling financing her mothers bills and was going to use the proceeds from the home sell to help her mother live more comfortably financially. After inspecting the home we seen it was going to be a good bit of work, but made an offer, and she accepted.

So now we own a few more acres that border my 20 acres and my farm gates are within site of my living room window. I can literally walk out of this house across the back yard onto my farm, its that close. We officially closed on the home last Monday and begin the demolition process. I said after my last remodel that I would never do this again, but this deal was almost to good to pass up. Its a really nice home, although it has issues, its nothing that cant be fixed. So While I've been busier than cat covering up poop, my gardens are doing very well this year, harvested my potatoes 3 weeks ago, planted 15 pounds, harvested 125 lbs. Im on my 2nd planting of green beans, got 4 pickings off the first batch. Squash is coming off in bucket loads, cucumbers have just kicked into high gear, and tomatoes are loaded. I have been working everyday on the house, and try to spend time in the gardens in the early mornings while its cool. I'll try to get some recent pics up loaded soon.

nothing like keepin' busy! :) when you get done though you can be glad with the investment you've made and that it is right next to your existing property is fantasticly wonderful. i'm glad that worked out for you.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A house right next to your farm! It just don’t get no better that that! Awesome! What about pictures??

Have you heard from majorcatfish? He hasn’t been on for a couple of weeks.

A house right next to your farm! It just don’t get no better that that! Awesome! What about pictures??

Have you heard from majorcatfish? He hasn’t been on for a couple of weeks.

I have not Bay, up until yesterday I haven't been on here in a few weeks.

Planning to hit the garden tomorrow during the a.m. got to get some weeding done in the new green beans, I've also got to check the red onions, if their ready get those out. My wife pulled the white onions last weekend, there in the barn curing now. My corn is starting to tassel, and while it rains here every couple of days, I dont think its getting enough to make full ears. Im going to set my sprinklers up and give it a real good soaking over the next few days.

On another note, I have 9 Jumbo Coturnix Quail roosters that will be processed on Saturday....and possibly one New Hampshire red rooster. He and I went a round the other morning while i had my back turned to him, after it was over he had a different outlook on life. He still gives me the eye when i go in there, but he will remember that day for a while Lol. Anyway, I started my quail flock with 20 - 3 chocked on to large of feed (lesson #1) 6 got eating by what i know now was a fox (Caught him in a box trap) and the remaining 11 equal to 10 roosters and 1 hen. Im going to keep the hen and 1 rooster, process the rest. My source for quail has 8 week old birds for sell, I'll buy more hens from him and house maybe 10 hens to 1 rooster.

The new house work is coming along, Almost finished re-wiring the kitchen, Finished the new Sill and Joist work, floors are level now. 1 layer of 3/4 sub floor layed, Once i finish the wiring, Ill lay the second 3/4 boards. Cabinet mans been in and give me a good quote, problem is he's backed up till August 1st, but with the drywall still left to do, finish and prime, Im thinking that will work out in my favor. I brought the new hot water heater home yesterday with the new expansion tank, that is going in this weekend, along with a new Kitchen window so my wife can watch the horses graze in the pasture...I told her look animals we can enjoy and dont have to feed Lol. So far everything's coming along like I'd hoped, as long as it stays this way Im shooting for a move in date September/October ish.

Been wide open here lately, Lets see.....Everything in the garden is done except the purple hull peas which are coming off steady, the Okra is blooming, but no pods yet. Tomatoes are slowing down with this heat, and blight has set in on some of the plants. I have some good looking water melon vines and about 5 melons, the vines have a ton of blooms on them right now. I planted a fresh row of cucumbers, crookneck and patty pan squash last week, hoping to get at least one good picking off of them. Getting ready to clean out the corn field and prep it for Collards. I made a list of what i hope to plant in this years fall garden......

Georgia Collards
Morris heading Collards
Purple top turnips
All top turnips
Southern Curly top Mustard
Broad leaf mustard
Cabbage
Broccoli
Couple different kinds of Lettuce
Christmas Lima pole beans
Kentucky blue pole bean

I processed the Quail last saturday, and I wish I had done a video on it, it was super easy and yielded a good bit of meat off 10 birds. I am having issues with my chickens and this heat, it hit 108 with the heat index yesterday and I lost 2 birds. I had to put some temporary additions in the pen to make some shade for them, plus we check water 3 times a day now cause they go through it.

The new house work is coming along, Im done with the wiring and have started on the drywall, not my dream job, but so far its going smooth. I am actually finishing up in the kitchen right now, cabinet guy is scheduled to start first of August so thats were most of my attention will be until then. Looking forward to cooler temps!

When it is that hot I wet an area down in the shade for the chickens, trying to give them a cool spot to rest in the run.

Its funny you said that ridge, thats exactly what my wife and daughter started doing yesterday, they seem to like it.