Lickbranchfarms 2020 Garden

Fired up the lights last night and put the green house in full operation. I need a couple more lights for the bottom rows. Me and young whipper snapper also started Tomatillos, cherry tomatoes, Romas, Majors highlanders, orange bells, and red bells. I moved all the cabbage and lettuce off the grow shelve into the green house, This morning it was a toasty 70 degree's when I turned the lights back on. I may have to up pot the cabbage a little sooner than i thought, i seen a little green algae on the top soil. have already cut back on the bottom watering.

1.jpg

02.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

The next things on the list to start are the red and golden beets, they will be super easy, Ordered them from Johnny's on Monday so they should be here by the weekend. Also we will be putting potatoes and onions in the big garden this saturday. ITS GARDEN SEASON !

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
You start beets? Do you get better germination that way? Maybe I should do that instead of planting direct in the soil.

You start beets? Do you get better germination that way? Maybe I should do that instead of planting direct in the soil.

I do and for only one reason, Its to wet in the main garden to direct sow them when I need to get them in the ground. They'll just rot if I direct seed them. Another reason is because I plant in a double row, it allows me to get everything set nice and even. Im weird about things being straight Lol. Beets are super easy to transplant, just use a deep tray, and let them dry out just a little right before you pull them. Makes them come loose from the tray easier so you dont break the stems.

Reactions: pjn

Finally got out in the big garden and got some work down, just in time too, they're calling for rain 3 days next week. Friday was crazy, cold and 30 mph winds, worked in the barn most of the day. Saturday i got up with the chickens, and layed off all my rows (again) and put down 2 rows of red onions, 2 rows of sweet onions, and 3 rows of red potatoes. Feels good to get that out the way. My wife brought home some blueberry bushes, i got 6 of those planted, transplanted 1 muscadine grape vine and planted another on a bed frame headboard, plus 1 thornless raspberry bush. Me and dynamite dug some holes for post that will be the new run for the chicken coop, and I got 1 cemented in the ground before dark.....I am sore this morning.

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

Check this out...my attempt at documenting some of the happenings on the farm. I used my gopro and the wind was horrible that day. I broke down and purchased a good camera to shoot video's with, along with an external microphone that reduces back ground noise. I hope to be able to keep up with a video log of the beginnings of the new homestead now that we're permanent residents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Its a waiting game now. I have tomatoes starting to emerge, the early girls and the cherry tomatoes are growing crazy fast! My pepperoncini starts came out the gate strong but kinda stalled on me. I think jacking the heat up might have slowed the growing plants, but helped the seeds that haven't started yet. I know peppers take normally minimum of 2 weeks just to sprout (for me anyway).

The early wonder beets I started a couple days ago are up, this greenhouse has made keeping up with everything so easy.

I have radish's coming out now, got my beet seeds from Johnny's yesterday, hoping to get time this evening to get them started. I may shoot a short video on how I start my trays.

The chicks are getting bigger every day, its amazing how much they grow in just a week. We went and picked up 4 Rhode island reds, and 4 New Hampshire reds last Friday, that brings our total up to 23. Knowing some will probably be roo's and go to freezer camp.

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1891.jpg

100.jpg

300.jpg

200.jpg

Latest posts