Lickbranchfarms 2020 Garden

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since you've seen them spread how far apart your rows are are totally up to you. When I plant green beans and green pea, I usually plant one row, move over 12" and plant another row. When I plant corn I put two rows 12" apart then move over enough to give me room to walk through then I plant two more rows 12" apart. If that fits your irrigation I'd be ecstatic with that. With purple hulls you could go closer than 12" if you need to for your irrigation system.

I do not use a tractor to plow between the rows, I use a tiller. I use a hoe in between the 12" rows. Once you get Purple Hulls laid by they mulch themselves. Not sure how you plan to keep grass and weeds down until you get them laid by.

I may have to get creative with a different style cultivator attachment for the front of the tractor. I have laid corn by at 24" with this tractor with the draw bar removed, curious if i do it early enough could i get away with it with peas. i know i can take the center gangs off my rear cultivator and still hit between two 30" beds. My rear tire is 24" wide, so if i draw up the rows @ 24" then plant double rows @12" should leave plenty of room for the front and rear cultivators.

I really dont want to hand hoe these rows LOL.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish what you think about planting purple hull peas in a double row on a 30" bed? I want to utilize as much space as I can but im still thinking of irrigating with the overhead wobblers down the center of 4 rows. So in reality I'll have 8 rows of peas in 4 rows......Thoughts?

have grown them in the past what ever you do dont over plant them they turn into a snarled mess and the bees/etc cant get into them to help pollinate. would not plant all at once rather spread it out over the summer.....

as for watering soaker hose's as you know they evenly water "where you want the water" and not watering everything else which means extra weeding..with our humidity and rain we get the weeds dont need any extra help.....

the nice thing about soaker's once your done for the season you roll them up pressure wash them and put away...

plus we get blight,rust,wilt, etc so with our humidity and rains we really dont need to add more over head watering, unless you are ready to spray fungicides more <if you use it>often.

just my 2 cents.....

is that a little fertilizer burn i see on your mators?????

Lol good eye Major.....

Yea i hit them a little hard last week, I've since toned it down to a tablespoon per gallon twice a week.

Your correct, i dont need help in the weed department. My ultimate goal is drip irrigation in the furrow while planting. I like the way Travis with Hoss tools does his. It is a little expensive up front, but once you have the equipment to install, the drip tape and fittings are cheap. But for now I'll keep using the soaker hoses.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
not to get off subject but i really like how the strawberry farmers mound lay down drip lines plastic and plant at the same time... thats pretty slick

Man what a great couple of days to be out in the garden! Spent Friday working on the sub-floor for the new Chicken coop, got that finished. Yesterday i spent all day laying off rows and planting. Got all my squash in 10 rows total. Zucchini, crookneck, sunburst, Bennings green tint, and Butter cup winter squash. I also got 1 row of cucumbers, and 5 rows of Blue lake green beans in. after that i was whooped. Today i hope to get another row of cucumbers in, and my melons. Im going to spend this week getting my tomato and pepper spots ready, and maybe, just maybe get my corn field ready to plant next weekend.

Working on a garden update video, Hopefully I'll have it posted by Wednesday.

Latest posts