Lickbranchfarms 2020 Garden

Well after a long spell of taken it easy, I am ready to get back to playing in the dirt. Cleaned all the seed starting equipment up last night, got my shelves cleaned off, went through and picked out all of the seeds for my tomatoes and peppers this year. I did change a few things for this years garden. The biggest change will be the lay-out. I started off in 2018 doing long rows (upwards of over 100' sometimes) but last year, i did short rows, (25') just more of them. It seemed like the garden was easier to take care of. It might have just been in my head, but the garden was half its normal size, and i got just as much as usual out of it :idunno. Anyway, today I am weeding the asparagus bed, and putting down some fresh mulch. I ran the tiller through the tomato/pepper garden yesterday, I want to put some lime down, and later some grade A 100% organic chicken poop Lol. It is very wet around here right now so playing in the big garden is a huge risk, but I've got enough room in the barn, I'm going to get started on my lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, peppers and few other starts.

I know last year i didn't have the trouble keeping everything watered like I have in the past, but I still want to look at some type of irrigation other than sprinklers. Not sure what yet but I'll come up with something. I'm moving a lot of things around this year, so nothing will look the same, but hopefully it will work out. I'm shooting for ease of access not only for equipment, but for labor and harvesting. Since the rows will be shorter, everything is going to get mulched in with hay this year. 1 to aid in holding moisture and B to help with weeds. Since i do till the soil weeds are always an issue, this will be a trial, if it doesn't work oh well i'll try something different next year. Here's is to a bountiful 2020 garden season!

Seed orders in for 2020, hoping to get everything in trays prior to February 29th. My target date for transplant into the garden is after the full moon in April which this year is April 8th. It has to dry up long before then so I can get the big garden prepped. I did get my lights on last night and the heat mats fired up just to make sure everything still worked.
IMG_1692.jpg

Finally got soil in my starting trays, added another light to the top grow rack. Weeded and mulched the asparagus bed. I tilled the pepper garden, I'm going to wait a day or two and go through it again before I add the Chicken poo. Usually i plant the peppers and tomatoes in the same block, but I think this year I'm going to use the area I planted corn in last year for tomatoes, cabbage and Broccoli. I'm going to plant corn back beside the Okra this year. I made 1 pass with the tiller, its just to wet in there right now. Hopefully in a couple days i can get it broken up better.

Me and young grass hoppers been working on a new brooder, expecting new chicks this week. Once last years flock made it out the brooder, They were living in short term coop, anyway some local dogs got in and got all of them. I got the dog problem taken care of and we will be better prepared for when the chicks come out the brooder this year.

Seed order should be in this week, planning on getting the following started.....

California Wonder Bells
Big boy Jalapeno's
Greek Pepperoncini's
Early girl tomatoes
Better Boy tomatoes
Bodacious tomatoes
Cherry Baby tomatoes
Earliana Cabbage
Broccoli (sun king)
Butter crunch lettuce
Bibb lettuce
Black seeded Simpson lettuce
IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Put my order in at Johnny's for my red and yellow Bells, Escorial Melons, radishes, and Salanova Lettuce. Rained all day here yesterday, they're calling for temps to get almost 70 today and sunny, hope it dries out some so I can get some work done.

Latest posts