Light of Day

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zdarkness.jpg

Maybe with StreetLights ... and the reflection from fallen leaves ......

Differences, between night and day. I just opened the curtains on the South Window and saw the "yard squirrel" checking out something on the lawn. It was 7:45 AM and, with a cloudy sky (& forecast of rain), quite dark. In about 2 weeks, the clock will show 6:45 instead of 7:45 - a very late change to Standard Time for 2021. Some of you know how I dislike these changes.

It's difficult to know what the yard squirrel thinks. Along about the Summer Solstice, I noticed him busy at 4:15 AM. Of course, soon he won't be around at all for cold day after cold night after cold day ... But, it's been a little unseasonably warm and he hasn't had to take many daytime naps, yet. He's already lost, what, 8 daylight hours before he has to take those long, long winter naps? He will really be missing out on the neighbors' birdseed feeders then!

I intended to post a wavy, dark & light graph showing the difference between our daylight hours through 12 months. However, those meteorologist folks like to fudge with light after dark, light before light - that sort of thing. Sunshine. It's the Sun, Everybody. Okay, there's a full moon and it's very high in the sky but I wonder if the squirrel and 90% of the natural environment even notices it. With clear skies, which we have had so much of this year, the sun comes up - bink, it's bright light out ☀️! The sun goes down - bink, darkness within moments 🛋️. With heavy clouds, as are developing as I type, who cares??? It dismal out there - at mid-morning! Oh well, I'm happy about the rain :).

Steve
Time comes stealing on by night and day. ~ W. Shakespeare

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now if I could see that posted picture in the day, I would be very happy to just sit on the bench and contemplate. Fall is my favorite time of the year. I love the colors and the fallen leaves along with windy days if any.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of you know how I dislike these changes.
Yeah, we've had these discussions before. Many people don't like the change, some pretty strongly. A few years back I was naive enough to start a thread on here to remind people to adjust their clocks. Several people did their best to take my head off because I reminded them.

The way I look at it is that it is something that I can't control so I save my worry and aggravation for other things.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fall is my favorite time of the year.
How about this, Mary.

E7D9CC42-499F-4F06-82DD-3BBE78CB87DF.jpeg

I used to walk on that distant campus path to the U of Idaho indoor pool or the sauna. Or, on such a nice afternoon :), to walk about 100 yards and then to the left onto a pleasant path through the arboretum … That was after a 9 year break between attending so as to allow the school to build the pool and develop the arboretum a little more ;).

Behind me are the huge trees that stand in front of the administration building and where I walked in 2018. That was with my cane and a little slower than 40 years before …

@Ridgerunner , I would be All For leaving the clocks one way or the other. What happened most recently was to extend DST so that springing ahead or falling back an hour was even more of a jolt. That was the opposite of what I would have chosen ;).

Steve

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The air was hazy before sunrise, this morning.

As the first rays shot across the trees and roof tops, the horizons were somewhat orange. I'm not too good with colors but there seemed to be a pink cast to it, also. (No, not fuchsia, @ninnymary :))

This color was almost uniformly surrounding the landscape at 360°. Brighter in the east but reflected well in the west, especially. This is the second sunrise recently when I have noticed this.

The deciduous trees are almost all covered with yellow and orange leaves. I'm wondering if there is reflection into this light haze and back to us as the sun's rays hit the treetops ... Really quite enchanting :).

Steve

Latest posts