Lingonberries?

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would like to plant Lingonberries but know so little about them.

I have a cistern with 12" deep soil covering and would like to plant them over that but concerned that 12" wouldn't be enough. If they naturally grow in rocky thin soil then this would work.
Also do they need as acidic soil as blueberries?

I know the catalogs which carry these sell out fast so I'm looking for some quick answers.

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you email hartmannsplantcompany.com with your question, they will email you back the same day (in my experience). They sell a pair of lingonberries I was considering, but I think I'm going with all blueberries (found several low bush blueberry groundcovers, including some at Hartmanns, for a streetcorner light pole where I can't go tall). They need same acidic soil as blueberries. I'm going to be digging out the bed and mixing in 50% peat, and compost, perlite, and Turface MVP (baked clay particles that lighten soil and hold moisture available to roots). 50% peat is the magic number, I hear, though you could probably just use sulfar. I think you are right, their roots are probably like blueberries, not that deep, though you should check with Hartmanns. I grow strawberries in shallow soil (4 inches, I think, protruding over concrete sidewalk) and they do great here in zone 5, where I would have thought their roots would be too exposed.

You'll probably hear from more experienced people on the forum, soon, but it's a place to start if you want. :)

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'll give that link a try, thanks.

I'm supposedly in zone 5 here on Lake Erie but we actually range between 4 and 6, depending on the weather.

I love the low bush blueberries, especially the vibrant red display in fall. My high bush aren't as spectacular.

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
How do the low bush ("wild") blues taste? My teenage daughter is sure they won't be good, like apparently nothing is until you're at least 21 :). Me, I like weeds and wild, so I know I'll like them. But I'm trying a few varieties, and some half-highs, too.

Thanks for YOUR info!

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I tried to plant a lingonberry last year (I love Ikea's lingonberry jam). The start arrived in a tiny plastic bag. It was a 4 inch stick with one leaf on it. I planted it with my blueberries, but it died. Or rather the one leaf blew away and I couldn't tell where the tiny stick was anymore. :idunno
Hope you have better luck!

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've ordered from Harmann's before and their stock was always fine; any losses were definitely my fault (gory details not necessary). Oikos also sells lingonberry, and I think his stock is good, too.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Catalina said:
I tried to plant a lingonberry last year (I love Ikea's lingonberry jam). The start arrived in a tiny plastic bag. It was a 4 inch stick with one leaf on it. I planted it with my blueberries, but it died. Or rather the one leaf blew away and I couldn't tell where the tiny stick was anymore. :idunno
Hope you have better luck!
A lot of the better nurseries guarantee the plants and will replace or credit your account. I would contact them about that. It doesn't sound like it was viable when it was sent.
I work at a large perennial nursery and we look for well rooted plants to fill orders. No Lingonberries, sigh.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
kellygirrl said:
How do the low bush ("wild") blues taste? My teenage daughter is sure they won't be good, like apparently nothing is until you're at least 21 :). Me, I like weeds and wild, so I know I'll like them. But I'm trying a few varieties, and some half-highs, too.

Thanks for YOUR info!
I don't have any low bush blueberries but that may change this year!
I haven't eaten one that I know about. In jam who would know the difference?

I did plant Wintergreen last year, more for the leaves than the berries. I have always loved happening upon those leaves in the wild. What a taste! :)

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have low bush blueberries growing wild around the NorthEast. The berries are a little small, but taste, I dunno, like blueberries. Some folks think they are better than the highbush kind, but honestly I don't notice any difference. Your daughter probably won't notice either, if you don't tell her...

kellygirrl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Some folks think they are better than the highbush kind, but honestly I don't notice any difference. Your daughter probably won't notice either, if you don't tell her...
Well, I guess she'll complain about the size, then lol. Perhaps she'll be won over. (They are higher in active constituents, after all). Thanks!

Sylvie (or anyone), do you think I can grow wintergreen in full sun? I have 3 plants coming, but I'm nervous about it.

Latest posts