Link and "suggestions?"

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hints?

When the little pop-up box appears after highlighting text and clicking the link icon ...

Sometimes, the url's look vaguely familiar but I have no idea from where they are gathered. Before pasting the address to a news story in the box this morning, I hesitated. A Smithsonian article on an archeological dig??? It got the best of me ...

Large Cache of Texts Found ...

Choosing that url instead of pasting my link ... I was off to Africa (& and, in time) learned something about Maat and Isfet.

Whoa! Where do these link suggestions come from? Something in social media? Something in the search engines? Something in my subconscious?

digitS'
Those who destroy the lie promote Ma'at;
those who promote the good will erase the evil.
As fullness casts out appetite,
as clothes cover the nude and
as heaven clears up after a storm.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it is your search provider in combination with your browser which gives the hints. i have them all turned off unless i'm using the search web site itself directly.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yep, Google Analytics & all the other trackers that hide behind the scenes. when i used Firefox i had a program downloaded called Ghostery that showed all the trackers on the pages & the most were from Google followed by all the social media trackers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are actual url addresses that show up in that little box when I click TEG's link icon.

I try not to go for "click bait" (i guess we call it). But ~no doubt~ I'm influenced by it. Sometimes, I pretend to ignore some ad, then, I do a search for the product in another tab. I doubt if that fools the bots following me.

It's a little surprising to see ads on the Smithsonian page. Besides info on their magazine for $12/year (sounds like a deal) I've got 4 car ads from 2 different companies. There is a picture of slices of pineapple that I'm really tempted to click but it says "sponsored content," so I don't.

I went from Smithsonian to Wikipedia checking on the goddess. I am sure that the bots know that :rolleyes:. I have made my annual donation to Wikipedia so ... that might indicate ... something.

Steve

Sam BigDeer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
it is your search provider in combination with your browser which gives the hints. i have them all turned off unless i'm using the search web site itself directly.
Flowerbug, can/will you tell me how to do that in two or three sentences?
My OS is Windows 7 (64 bit) and I'm using Google Chrome as browser..
Thanks in advance, Sam ....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Flowerbug, can/will you tell me how to do that in two or three sentences?
My OS is Windows 7 (64 bit) and I'm using Google Chrome as browser..
Thanks in advance, Sam ....

i wish i could quickly, but i don't use Windows or Chrome... i'll see if i can come up with something.

this link seems to show how to edit search stuffs (among other things)... no idea if it is applicable to your version...

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/chrome-power-tips/

Latest posts