Lion House rolls

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think they had two recipes in that link

Ah-ha!

tasteandtellblog.com/lion-house-rolls-and-sweet-potato-buttermilk-dinner-rolls/

Okay, we will have to go with the sweet potatoes. "Refrigerate rolls" are my mom's recipe from her 1930's Good Housekeeping cookbook. Only way we can stop serving those would be if everyone stops eating them. (Then, we might still have to reserve a place at the table so as to have their company ;).)

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, you read my mind. I was going to ask you for your tips. I always have a problem with bread rising. After the second rise, I try to brush them with butter or beaten egg but I find that they start to deflate. I'm very gentle but they still do it. They also seem to start to deflate when I put them in the oven to bake. I've tried lengthening and shortening the time of the second rise but it doesn't seem to make a difference either way.

I'm going to make them in the morning. My house is kept at 67°. Hope that's not to warm for them.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, you read my mind. I was going to ask you for your tips. I always have a problem with bread rising. After the second rise, I try to brush them with butter or beaten egg but I find that they start to deflate. I'm very gentle but they still do it. They also seem to start to deflate when I put them in the oven to bake. I've tried lengthening and shortening the time of the second rise but it doesn't seem to make a difference either way.

I'm going to make them in the morning. My house is kept at 67°. Hope that's not to warm for them.

Mary

That's cooler than my house, so should take an hour or more to rise, which is good. In the fridge takes overnight. I brush the melted butter on after they come out of the oven. I've found placing them almost touching and using a 9x13 pan (or better yet a 9x13 disposable aluminum pan because the bottoms are less likely to burn) helps them to climb higher, kinda supports them while they're baking if they're a bit squeezed together.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
You keep your house warmer than 67°!?

Mary

We heat with firewood, so I don't have to mind the thermostat. Sometimes it gets too toasty and I have to open a few windows. 74 is my comfort zone though.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 - those rolls look AMAZING!!!!

Speaking of dry turkey, I made a happy discovery yesterday.
Because of a plumbing emergency, I decided to roast the turkey Wed instead of Thurs AM. So by Thurs morning I had a large storage container of very cold, stiff, somewhat dry turkey sitting in the fridge.
Looking for a way to make it more like 'fresh sliced' I decided to put it all in my middle crockpot & top with a couple pats of butter and a spoonful of this stuff:
veggibroth.jpg
Oh dear!!!!
Juicy & tender does not begin to describe it.
Best turkey I've ever made.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a good tip Cane. I was originally going to roast my turkey for Sundays Thanksgiving on Saturday, then rewarm it before dinner.
I haven't decided yet...I do like pulling that brown bird out of the oven when everybody's here and we can all enjoy the anticipation of slicing into it.

Your method is what we use for the end of season potluck for the garden kids. We grill the chicken earlier in the day and keep it hot on a rack in the crockpot with broth simmering underneath it.

@journey11 , I ended up not using your recipe yesterday, I thought since I was taking my cinnamon rolls to a neighbors family gathering I should use my old tried and true recipe...just in case I blew it. :p

But I am going to make them for Sunday. I'm totally up for experimenting on my own family, haha.
They wouldn't recognize me otherwise.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lol, that's what family is for. :D

I bought some of that better than bullion stuff recently, one beef, one chicken flavor. It is really good. @canesisters , I think you just won Thanksgiving. Boy, wouldn't that take all the stress of cooking off of the day. Plug in crockpot, sit, relax, visit. I will try that out!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made those rolls and they were delicious. I did forget to brush the rectangles with butter before I rolled them but I don't think that makes much of a difference. They came out too big for dinner rolls but are perfect for sandwiches.

It was the first time I used my dough hook and I had to knead them quite a bit before the dough would pull away completely from the bowl and not be sticky. It seems like after the first 10 minutes, I stopped to check it and had to knead again for another 5 minutes. Did this about twice. I added the exact amount of bread flour and water that it called for so I don't know why dough was sticky. I will definitely be making these again. But I think I will just make small balls and put in a pan with high sides. I like how they come out this way and will freeze them after baking.

Mary