Lion's Tail

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Leonotis leonurus oe Wild Dagga. Mt neighbor gave me some seeds for it this past Christmas. I'm interested in trying these, even though it will be considered and annual.

Anybody grown this? Any hints or tips?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I get it going, I'll post a picture. I'm a bit south of you, so maybe warm enough?

elevation might be important for how hard you freeze, as i have no experience with these plants at all i can't say. when i was reading up they said zone 6 which isn't too different from where i'm at, but i'd still not plant them expecting for them to be perennial here because we can still get some harsh winters.

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
elevation might be important for how hard you freeze, as i have no experience with these plants at all i can't say. when i was reading up they said zone 6 which isn't too different from where i'm at, but i'd still not plant them expecting for them to be perennial here because we can still get some harsh winters.
I'll be happy if I get them as annuals. I'm in zone 7a - ish, so we can get freezes, but they don't usually last long. Elevation is about 1200 feet.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
EVERY seed likes to start warm, so start them inside, like top of the fridge, and then transplant. You won't know if you like them, until you try them.
If you like them, pot up a few in the Fall and take them inside for over winter.

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
EVERY seed likes to start warm, so start them inside, like top of the fridge, and then transplant. You won't know if you like them, until you try them.
If you like them, pot up a few in the Fall and take them inside for over winter.
I've seen pictures, so I have an idea what to expect. They have been 'started', about 10 days ago, heat matted, grow lighted, and nothing yet..

As to over wintering, well, if the Husband ever decides to file for divorce, it may well be the reason of hundreds of plants overwintering in the house lol.

GottaGo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I'm sad to report there was no germination. Bummer.

I'll have to hunt some down online and try again.

Latest posts