little rust-colored sucking bugs on my tomato plant

tomatokate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The title says it all; there are these little rust-colored bugs that look like ticks ( I know they aren't), that are sucking on one of my tomato plants, they seem to be multiplying daily. What are they, and can I get rid of them?:/

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure about a sucking bug, but potatoe bug larvae love tomato plants and they are rust colored and some have a little row of black spots.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking, like Beekissed, that they are plump Colorado potato beetle larvae. They might look less like ticks to you as they mature. Do a google image search to see what we are talking about.

This pest can really tear up eggplants, tomatoes, and potatoes.

There are 2 ways I go with these critters. Bonide Beetle Beater, a Bt spray, works best but usually takes 2 sprayings, a week apart. Rotenone/Pyrethrin spray also works fairly well but I suspect that rotenone powder alone would do a better job. I'm not entirely comfortable with using rotenone when I don't feel that I have to.

Beetle Beater or another brand of the appropriate Bt spray is probably safer and very specific for controlling potato bugs.

Steve

tomatokate

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
They're much smaller than potato beetle larvae, like tiny, and aren't as fat or long as grubs. I think they are already fully grown. They are also more brownish-red than red. They aren't really eating the tomato, just turning it yellowy.

30 min. later...
They're aphids! The reason I didn't notice it before, is because they're RED aphids, and I thought aphids were only green! Thanks for your concern, anyway!

Latest posts