Living Fence

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on living fences. The prices of fencing and t-posts are in the beyond stupid category. I'm exploring alternatives to traditional woven wire fencing for sheep/goats.

Would something like this even be practical for sheep/goats? What species of tree/bush would be best? Would sheep/goats just eat their way through this or gird the trees and kill the fence. Is this even a viable option to contain sheep/goats?

Internet Picture (not mine)
eb44b4953b810500.jpg

Any reply is welcome - thanks

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
that is a beautiful picture, but can you imagine how much time and effort it took to get it that ways?

personally, once you mention sheep and goats then you are not going to have a living fence for long.

around here the sheep and goats are the deer, rabbits and groundhogs. if i don't fence any living and edible plant the critters will eventually chew on them.

i think thorn bushes might at least disourage the deer, but they do not avoid groundhog or rabbits completely. however, thornbushes are too much of a hassle to work with. so nope, not doing that either.

even if you could find a way to grow a living fence there's a good chance it won't grow fast enough, or if you could find something that did grow that fast then that become a pest or hinderance to the pasture because it would shade it rather quickly.

i'm in the same spot you are, i need to get some more fence up but the cost of gates, poles and fencing is keeping me from wanting to finish the job. :(

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't give up easy 😂 have to ask is there a tree/bush that sheep/goats won't eat that is also suitable for a living fence?

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Blowerat

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Hey! 🌿🐑 Living fences are a cool idea for sure. Sheep and goats can be nibblers, so choosing the right plants is key. Hardy, thorny options like Osage Orange or Honey Locust could work. Make sure they're well-established before relying on them as a fence, though. And if you're dealing with enthusiastic eaters, it might be trial and error. Anyone tried this with sheep/goats and can share some wisdom?

Latest posts