Living On The Edge Ate A Salad

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Salads weren't very common for us, either. Maybe if you count the pasta and potato salads ... cottage cheese on a pineapple slice?

We had greens, tho. Not cabbage so much as spinach and chard. I wonder how many American kids were eating kale in the 50's ... These things were from the garden or the health food store. I remember Mom talking about "enzymes."

Enzymes or not, vegetables were usually cooked to mush. I remember a comedian saying that these cooks prepared vegetables this way in case anyone arrived at the table without their teeth. I suspect that it may have had to do with epidemics.

Potatoes were the starch of choice. I remember when my parents had a discussion on having bread in the house - because my brother and I needed sack lunches for school. I don't remember ever having potatoes in the garden. Somehow, I think growing potatoes would have encouraged even more enthusiasm for gardening.

As it was, fruit was important, partly because we were surrounded by commercial orchards. Cantaloupe from our own garden sure captured my attention. @Gardening with Rabbits needs to find out what watermelon variety her neighbor grows!

:) Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Past couple of days I have been craving caesar salad, so I had one with grilled chicken for lunch. A client just came in and started talking about wanting a salad but was to afraid of E.coli. I told her I had a salad today made with romaine lettuce. She said I was very brave, my reply with all the drugs, alcohol and cigarettes I put in my body, no vegetable going to take me out :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
That lettuce was from one state. I doubt any store or restaurant has not been careful regarding the lettuce. A farmer I know gets expired food food from Trader Joes for his pigs. He had a pallet of lettuce and dropped a box off. May chickens and horse love it.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
No matter what was dinner it always ended in salad, the dressing was also always oil and vinegar. My mother worked a full time job, came home made dinner by 5pm. Sat was her rest from cooking family went to restaurant. It was very strange having salad served BEFORE the meal and having mayo based dressing.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
melon.jpg
Salads weren't very common for us, either. Maybe if you count the pasta and potato salads ... cottage cheese on a pineapple slice?

We had greens, tho. Not cabbage so much as spinach and chard. I wonder how many American kids were eating kale in the 50's ... These things were from the garden or the health food store. I remember Mom talking about "enzymes."

Enzymes or not, vegetables were usually cooked to mush. I remember a comedian saying that these cooks prepared vegetables this way in case anyone arrived at the table without their teeth. I suspect that it may have had to do with epidemics.

Potatoes were the starch of choice. I remember when my parents had a discussion on having bread in the house - because my brother and I needed sack lunches for school. I don't remember ever having potatoes in the garden. Somehow, I think growing potatoes would have encouraged even more enthusiasm for gardening.

As it was, fruit was important, partly because we were surrounded by commercial orchards. Cantaloupe from our own garden sure captured my attention. @Gardening with Rabbits needs to find out what watermelon variety her neighbor grows!

:) Steve

I am not sure how many melons she had, but this one I about tripped over when I was talking to her and taking pictures.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
We didn't eat salads growing up either. Our diet consisted of pork, rice, and beans with tortillas.

Mary

I have been trying to figure out all these different diets and how to eat. My friend has started on the ketogenic diet and me too going on 3 weeks. Well I hate it. Then, before this I had tried Dr. Fuhrman and did not like that. I have looked at diets of the people in the Blue Zones and really what I think they all have in common is HAPPINESS. They do tend to all eat less meat. They all have family, exercise, fresh air, they garden. Old people live in the same house with 3 generations. I saw an old woman and they were saying how she got around. If she tried to live on her own, she would not have been able to. She had her DIL walking beside her to make sure she did not fall. Another man was amazing living upstairs and going up and down the stairs to his garden different times of the day. They all live in areas where they were born and grew up and family surrounding them. One Blue Zone was Seventh Day Adventists in California. I think maybe the only Blue Zone in the USA. They are vegetarians, but they also garden and they have church family. My family in Oklahoma lived to be old, some close to 100, accidents killed some and one aunt she lived to be 90 and if family had been with her and helped, she could have make it longer. My mother 89, my grandmother almost 90, several uncles 90, my dad 75 and I think eating like in the 1980s with bad oil, a lot of stress, and highly processed food, and would not go to the doctor, he had enough symptoms and warning signs to have changed and lived longer. We were strong and healthy when I lived in Oklahoma. Fried fish, fried chicken, fried okra, grits, eggs, different kinds of bread, lots of pie, cookies, roast, pork and beef, lots and lots of beans, oranges from Florida, fresh corn, green beans, peas, iced sweet tea. Of course we had a lot of exercise and sunshine too.

Latest posts