Lizards

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
How do you keep lizards out of the garden? Everytime my plants sprouts, they are eating them! They dont eat if my plants grow past 2 inches!. right now Im growing more seeds in my seed starter pots . I think the drought is bad this year! I didnt have problems with lizards before! Also I notice not too many bees either :(

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always thought lizards in a garden was a good thing! Maybe start plants and not put out until they are bigger. IF that is not possible maybe make a little tunnel of chicken wire (or smaller opening if need be.) to cover the plants until big enough. You are probably right about the drought making it worse. We found out last summer when it was really dry EVERYTHING would eat our vegatables. Good luck.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's odd that lizards would be eating your plants. Only a few lizards eat vegetation as a normal part of their diet. You might try keeping pans of water out where they can get them. That would also benefit the bees who need more water than most of us realize. Just keep the water in the pans shallow so the bees don't drown. Something like aluminum pie pans would be best.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Desert, I'm guessing you have lizards that do eat tender vegetation more than most, perhaps because of the desert conditions.

My lizards do the rare and occasional seedling eating but not bad enough to offset their bug eating. My lizards seem to have plenty of their regular bugs for food.

Yea, what hoodat says, maybe add some watdr to help your bees, or maybe create a bee friendly moist habitat, some flowers with plenty of water on the plants.

Maybe if you set aside a small section of seedlings just to feed the lizards? I don't know! But for my lizards, it is only the small baby lizards that sometimes munch a seedling.

If your lizards are more vegetarian, too much so, maybe you'll need to get a bunch of kids to catch them and release them far enough away not to return.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
It's odd that lizards would be eating your plants. Only a few lizards eat vegetation as a normal part of their diet. You might try keeping pans of water out where they can get them. That would also benefit the bees who need more water than most of us realize. Just keep the water in the pans shallow so the bees don't drown. Something like aluminum pie pans would be best.
I'll vote for that advice ^^^

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wish I had some lizards around here! I was heading to the house late yesterday afternoon and there was a HUGE spider on my porch. I mean H U G E !!! I get some big ones in the barn but this guy was larger than my hand! The only things I've seen around here are skinks.. and this guy could eaisly catch and eat them :ep
Time, I think, for some 'Home Defense' spray....

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My neighbor were talking about lizards the other day and said they have seen geckos eat newly sprout plants. They think its because of our drought too. We have not seen grasshoppers or other strange pest this year. We havent seen bees for a while. We do have bumble bees. I have sunflowers all over my yard ,to hope it will attract bees. We had winds so bad this year since January, about two weeks ago, it finally slowed down! Last year I had tomatoes as early in April, this year its coming in very slllooooow! July is around the corner, and all I got growing was my zuchinnis! Im going to put some pans of water out for bees. I was told to put soda pop out or even beer! Ever seen a bee get drunk?:lol: Im going to put small cups to cover over my newly plants . I had to replant my cucumbers, beans,and some other kinds of squash. I hope rain will come soon !

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
canesisters said:
Wish I had some lizards around here! I was heading to the house late yesterday afternoon and there was a HUGE spider on my porch. I mean H U G E !!! I get some big ones in the barn but this guy was larger than my hand! The only things I've seen around here are skinks.. and this guy could eaisly catch and eat them :ep
Time, I think, for some 'Home Defense' spray....
Im shuttering when you say spider bigger than your hand! I'd run !!!!!!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's strange I almost never see alligator lizards here in San Diego any more. They used to be all over. They are one of the few predators that eat snails.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I heard stories of my dad catching thousands of salamanders from the streams and lakes here in Ohio for fun. Here I am now, and I actually saw a salamander for the first time a couple of months ago, haven't seen one since. I'm thinking that the salamanders here are dying off from all of the agricultural chemicals contaminating the waterways here. That and all of the swamps are being drained.

Latest posts