Location of New Garden-over the sewage drain field?

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My hubby and & I seriously considering buying a new place in the country. I finally will have room for a SUBSTANTIAL garden.

The only issue is- the ideal location for levelness, sunlight, etc, is over the sewage drainfield.

I do a raised bed method with no-till, so I won't be digging down, only building up.

Will this pose any problems for either the garden OR the drain lines?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sounds very exciting! Good luck- I hope it works out. We have debated the drain field issue on here before. Most times people want to plant trees- which isn't always the greatest idea. I would think since you are talking about raised beds-you wouldn't have a root issue....
If something happens and those pipes need to be dug up- you will have to take apart your beds. Depending on the season, that might not be a big deal. But, it would be a heart breaker if it was a week before your tomatoes got ripe!
If it was my yard and that was the best spot- I think I would go for it. Since you are building raised beds- they could be moved in the future, if the area doesn't work out.
Keep us posted on your progress!

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa- that was my thought exactly. I realize that I may have to dig them up, but at least I can move the dirt!

I was also thinking that the sewer may help with fertilizer!

The other good news is that I can GREATLY expand my flock of chickens. Now I can get all the cool breeds that I have been drooling over.

;)

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Will do. I hope it all comes together. With this nutty real estate market-who knows, but the property is PERFECT.

I was out there on Friday, the sun was just over the top of the far hill, the mist was rising off the pond and a flock of wild turkeys came out of the woods. It was so peaceful.

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
My strawberry bed is over the septic. They product into the fall due to the bottom heat. Big huge honkin strawberries. Oh and it is a raised no till bed too.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
damummis said:
My strawberry bed is over the septic. They product into the fall due to the bottom heat. Big huge honkin strawberries. Oh and it is a raised no till bed too.
When I lived in Colorado where plants would actually grow, the grass would stay green over the septic tank all year long from the heat. It would be green even under the snow! The deer would also bed down there because it was warm. I think that would be a nice place for gardening, as long as you didn't have to dig it up.

hiker125

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OOOO, I didn't think about the heat factor. Maybe if I add some row covers I can have fresh lettuce in January..... Wouldn't that be a good way to start off the New Year's diet resolution?

:lol:

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You might need to think about the age of the septic system. They need maintained/emptied sometimes and that could damage your garden.

If you know where the pipes run, I'd leave that part for walkways. Then you don't have to lose the plants if it needs fixed, especially while the crops are growing. Container gardening over that section would be fine too. You could just move it out of the way if you ever needed too. The septic pumper trucks are really big and usually have to drive and park in the yard near the problem.

I had my clotheslines over the drain field at my old place. They could be emptied in a hurry when the maintenance guys needed to dig. The system for the complex was probably put in 50 years before, so they worked on it frequently. :rolleyes:

Latest posts