Locavore the resources available in your area.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Locavore: "Those who prefer to eat locally grown/produced food sometimes call themselves locavores or localvores."

Dear Moderators:

I would like to start this subject because I feel that people want information about where they can buy locally grown food and other resources in their area. That means food for sale by co-ops, and farmers markets close to where they live. Even where to get the best seeds and local information about planting. I do not want to buy my apple juice from China or Chile anymore.

This post would be a resource where the people of TEG can share and post what is available in their areas. They could also put up a link that is helpful in the search for locally grown produce and animal products. There is nothing as great as the sharing of helpful information with others.

Here is one I would like to start with my area:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...pple+juice+camarillo&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Please let me know if this is all right and if I have posted it in the correct area on TEG. :frow

desertcat

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wow, that is some document! Have to admit to a little envy of all the sources available.

We just got the ONLY farmers market in Amarillo (maybe the only one in the panhandle) to ban non-local produce last summer. Up until then, you were more likely to find folks selling the grocery surplus than you were to find things that people had grown locally. Last summer brought great produce and people. One rancher even went through all the govt hoops to bring us grass fed beef at decent prices. Looking forward to what this summer brings!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have recently had "The Foodshed Buying Club" available to us. You order the local food (veggies, dairy, meat,etc.) online and pick it up weekly. It is a great idea and a wonderful resource of local food.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is a fabulous topic, and I agree with this whole heartedly. I also believe that we as a people have to show we're making the choices and changes ourselves BEFORE the USDA and farmers will make the right choices for their local clients.

Here is the site I always use doing searches locally.... I even found a goat farm near me who offers body products made from goats milk just 2 streets over! I can even by bath products not made in china! AWESOME!

http://www.localharvest.org/

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I live near this place...
www.venetuccifarm.org

We have several farmer's markets in the area.

Also, a local beef and pork farmer came in to my shop to get some flyers made. I designed him a great brochure and I am now getting 1/2 a pig next month :D Win! win!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
www.venetuccifarm.org

We have several farmer's markets in the area.

Also, a local beef and pork farmer came in to my shop to get some flyers made. I designed him a great brochure and I am now getting 1/2 a pig next month :D Win! win!
Cool! I love the barter system. :weee

However, I have yet to convince my doctors to trade an "office-visit" for a dozen eggs. :th

But I love to see the professional's when their jaw drops as I present them with beautiful "fresh", and "free" off the vine eggs. Its just a matter of time heh..heh..heh ...until I get them worn down. :lol:

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have yet to convince my doctors to trade an "office-visit" for a dozen eggs.
They do not know what they are missing! Keep working on them!

:gig

Here is the logo. I liked how it turned out. I used Adobe Illustrator to create the barn and the critters. The pork isn't totally grassfed, but it is non-CAFO. I will have to settle for cruelty and hormone free for now :D

simmonsfarmsbrochure.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
wifezilla said:
www.venetuccifarm.org
Nice website--OBVIOUSLY the person in the photo is a V I S I T O R--NOBODY'S gardening clothes are that clean!!!!!! :barnie

Same with horse supply catalogs--MY riding pants are clean for EXACTLY 5 minutes after I leave the house. :lol:

Oh, forgot--congrats on your 1/2 a pig--which half did you get? :/

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We (as a family), are trying hard to eat more local foods. I hope that within a couple years, there will be very little that comes to us from more than 100 miles away.

We are making payments on 1/3 of a steer at a local farm (which also runs a great CSA). We are also helping figure out a pasture and shelter at the farm to hopefully put some turkeys and chickens on for next year. This year our turkeys will be fed pellets, leftover greens, and leftover milk as the pasture won't be ready in time for this year's birds. I am also helping to put together a milk share on the farm, but you really need to be willing and able to help with milking. Anyone in the inland empire area of southern california, check out Amy's Farm in Chino. The people there are wonderful and they are very interested in ways to help people eat locally.

There are also several farmer's markets in the area. I tend to go to the Claremont one on Sunday mornings and sometimes the Upland one on Thursday afternoons during the summer.

Between what we have growing, the chickens I raise for meat and eggs, the milk share at Amy's Farm, and the steer and turkeys being grown at Amy's Farm; I should be pretty well set for meat, milk (and some other dairy products), and produce this year. I am putting out a hive next week and hope to attract some bees soon. When that might result in honey, wax, etc., I'm not sure.

I you are looking for local meat, I know that Cal Poly Pomona also sells beef that they raise if you are able to buy a whole or part of a cow.

Wifezilla, I too would love to have grass-fed beef and am settling for local, cruelty and hormone free for now.

Latest posts